Carole Rae's Reviews > The Queen's Vow: A Novel of Isabella of Castile

The Queen's Vow by C.W. Gortner

Aug 24, 12

Read from August 15 to 24, 2012

This is the first book I've read by C.W Gortner and the first I've read about Queen Isabella.

I've always been pretty neutral to Queen Isabella and her husband due to the fact that I'm not a huge fan of their daughter Catalina (aka Queen Catherine of England) and how they helped find the Americas. However, my eye was drawn to this at the library in the 'New Book' section and I decided to learn some more of her journey to becoming legend. Now that her tale is done, I am in awe of her. I actually like her even though she has some pretty bad things attached to her name. Yes, she had some pretty bad things happen in her country, but I personally believe if she hadn't "done" those things Spain wouldn't be what it is today. It would probably still be fragmented and torn and we'd have a dozen different countries to the list of countries.

Alright I shall usher the history nerd to go back to her corner and stop the rambling.

I found the author's writing very flowy and addicting! I felt like I was truly there and I wanted...no needed to now what was going to happen next (even though I knew). How odd. I forgot all the historical facts while reading. There is just something about his writing that I liked and I will be checking out some of his other books.

Even though I thought Isabella was a Catholic fanatic, I liked her! She certainly was a woman to reckon with and I adored that. She was strong-willed and smart. I was also surprised how she allowed her husband equal powers...she didn't have him just become her consort (which is what I would have done). I feel like she really felt that women and men should be equal of each other.

She was defiantly a woman a head of her times in a lot of aspects. I must applaud C.W Gortner for writing Isabella as one who had a hard ass time deciding what to do with the Jews of her country. She didn't hate them and it was hard for her to have them banished, because she realized that they were citizens and her subjects. She may have been a Catholic fanatic, but she had a heart and it seemed it really haunted her the whole Inquisition nonsense.

Sorry, somehow the history nerd keeps escaping!

There was nothing I could really nick-pick about this one! I loved this book! I found myself staying up late to just read this. Pretty sad, eh? C.W Gortner is wonderful writer and I hope his other books cause me to second look at historical figures I never really care for and see their side of the tale.

This book does have an element of romance in it, because Isabella and Ferando did love each other, but it's hard for me to recommend this to HR lovers, because the romance level is limited. I would recommend this to those who love Historical Fictions with a touch of romance intertwined.Out of five stars I grant this 5 stars. Woot woot!

Favorite Character(s): Isabella, Alfonso (her brother), Beatriz, and Carbra
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Older and Younger Villena (snakes), King Enrique (weak little man), and Joanna of Portugal (I wanted to smack her).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Vow.

08/15/2012 page 19