Kyla's Reviews > The Egg and I

The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald

Aug 09, 12

Read in August, 2012

Straight up and first, there are horrific slurs and bigotry about Native Americans in this book. This is acknowledged in the daughter's preface but upon reflection, I am glad they didn't cut out these parts. It feels important to me to represent the way people really talked about minorities in a breezy, light-hearted "aren't they TERRIBLE way" - it's somehow more chilling, not less.
But the rest of this book - oh it's so cozy. I picked up this copy on the Olympic Peninsula where only my driving fear stopped me from getting out and posing for a photo beside "The Egg and I Road" - it's really called that now. The locale was fresh in my mind from an excellent camping trip so when I saw it in a (stellar) thrift store in Port Angeles, I had to have it and read it. The clerk told me all about the families - I guess he knew them- and all of this just added extra coziness to the accounts of canning and chicken farming. The best part is in the intro where her daughters say she was on top of the bestseller list for 2 years and it utterly changed all their lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egg and I.