Karolina's Reviews > The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Jul 31, 07

Recommended for: Applied English level readers.
Read in July, 2007

In consideration of others, I think it's nice that this book was so straight-forwardly written, but at the same time, that's what made it very boring to me. I had a hard time visualizing anything because description of such was limited, and there was a lot of slang I didn't get.

There were some really striking scenes in here, but after the first few, they got old. The scene I liked best was when Jeanette's father gives her Venus for Christmas.

I really didn't like the tone of voice in this whole book, because it was like priding the mishaps, and boasting how much suffering this family went through. I think the events of this are enough for that; the language doesn't need to dramatize it. Like someone else has mentioned, it makes me wonder what the purpose of this story is. It just seems like empty egotism in the end. The whole strange positive, casual attitude negates whatever it could have been.

Mostly I had read this story because it made me curious...and I'm very weak to curiousity. I don't know what else would make me read it. The actual story of these people is unbelievable, but not well put.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Icely Din your review is so off base! Sorry but this is my favorite book of all time and I believe the straight forwardness was the part of the book that made it so wonderful. Her father was terrible but he wasn't all bad all the time and it created a dynamic that at times was purely abnormal, but isn't that what we all look for in a book? true abnormality. As I read this novel again and again I can't help but feel that it was a gift (her writing skills) to make up for the unpleasantness she experienced, but then again, maybe she had those thing happen to her because she could write, because after all , what's a writer with nothing to describe with the magic of word that you can clearly see was used to create this amazing work.

Jamie Thompson I think when life knocks you around a bit you do tend to wear it, all the eccentricity and sadness, like a badge. At the end of the day there are not enough hours to describe the things that were neglected and missed and broken but all-in-all the person I am today was very much shaped by it and I'm happy to be that person. You can choose to mourn it or you can choose to move on and I believe Jeanette has taken the good and decided to chalk the bad up to experience.

message 3: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Towner I do not agree with you in saying that Mrs. Walls "prided [in] the mishaps" or was "boasting [in] how much suffering [her] family went through." In your review, you said that the story was told in a very straight forward manner. If it was told so "straightforwardly," then how could she be boasting? She was simply telling her life's story and events.

I also find it contradictory that you claim the descriptions in the book to be limited, but then complain of the "really striking scenes" and how after the first few, "they got old." I struggle to understand your views of the book; It seems to me that you are looking for reasons not to like it.

As far as theme of the book goes, I do not believe you could read a book that has a clearer life message. This book shows the reader that through incredible hardships, if you work hard, things can turn out OK. Mrs. Walls' life is the epitome of resiliency, perseverance and determination.