Darcy's Reviews > Just for Fins

Just for Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ya, mermaid
Read on August 09, 2012

I liked this book, the tone of it was so upbeat, odd considering the subject matter Lily is facing. I loved how Lily is now embracing her mermaid life, that Tellin felt comfortable telling her the issues his kingdom is facing, and as a team the two of them come up with a plan.

It is at this point that things seem to follow a time tested pattern, one where the young ones are excited to save the world, but faced with the old ones who are cynical because nothing has worked in the past. This could have turned Lily away and caused her to follow the adults. Instead she turns to a trusted mentor to help her. Of course she can't tell the mentor the real story, but comes up with a plausible similarity. Even then things don't go so well, but Lily never lets the bad news get her down. She just becomes more sneaky and finds a way to shame all of the mer kings and queens, which was brilliant.

Lily faces obstacles in her love life too. Quince has to go through 3 tests to prove his love as a human for Lily. The tests seem easy, but they aren't, especially the last one. When we reached this one I found myself getting mad. The ending was great, just what Lily needed to happen.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just for Fins.