Gwen's Reviews > The Myst Reader, Books 1-3: Three Books in One Volume

The Myst Reader, Books 1-3 by Rand Miller

Oct 05, 12

Read from August 09 to October 05, 2012

I never actually played the Myst games. I owned a PC version, but could never figure out how to work out the first puzzle. And I don't mean solve, but actually work. No matter what buttons I pressed or image I clicked, nothing happened. :/

But I know people speak highly of world, and I'd been eyeing individual books in the series for awhile. Getting the trilogy just made sense.

D'ni certainly is an intense world, full of history and great characters. I'm rather envious of the ability to Write, though I'm totally happy I live under the sun instead of under rock.

I had the same problem with each of the books though, they were very slow going. For the first book, I wasn't really connected to the story until it was almost over. And for the second, until half way through. The third captured my attention sooner, about a 1/3 of the way in. While most of the characters are the same or at least related, it took me that long to settle into the writing and absorb their stories.
The books are greatly crafted, excelent visiual detail in the words and the illustrations help a lot. But this is a book I had to remind myself to read, and I started and finished several other books between the first and last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Myst Reader, Books 1-3.

08/09/2012 page 102