Tori's Reviews > Momma and the Meaning of Life: Tales of Psychotherapy

Momma and the Meaning of Life by Irvin D. Yalom

F_50x66
Jul 31, 07

Recommended for: those interested in the human experience and psychotherapy
Read in June, 2007

After reading Love's Executioner for a class I learned that I love Yalom's style of writing and his candor about his own feelings, reactions, and inner thoughts toward his clients. I find I share similar philosophies about therapy being an environment that is created by therapist, client, and the relationship built between the two. I was not as intrigued by every chapter in Momma as I was with Love's Executioner, however there is a very detailed series of chapters on a client he worked with who experienced quite a bit of loss in her life. The series depicts just how differently each person has the potential of reacting to death, and highlights a strong point toward the variability of psychology and people and that studies may be saying one thing, but how one person's experience cannot be widdled down into "research findings". Quite an involved and complex story, I could not put the book down at this point in the reading.

The last chapter is like a bizaar metaphor of sorts that I took to be like an artistics depiction that is up to each individual reader's interpretation. There is something science fictionesque about it that caught me off guard from Yalom, and I'm still not sure how to take it, but I have only read two of his books so far, maybe there is more where that came from?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Momma and the Meaning of Life.