Amelia Caraballo's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Oct 01, 12

Read from August 09 to September 28, 2012

At night, when all are asleep, an enchanted circus makes its way into town. The Cirque des Rêves is no ordinary circus. It's filled with powerful magic acts and illusions that are so incredible to the human eye that it leaves you wanting more.

In "The Night Circus", Morgenstern takes us on a magical and wondrous tale about two young magicians in The Cirque des Rêves -Marco and Celia- who have been preparing ever since they were children to compete in a duel to the death with each other. Now, neither one knows that they will be dueling one another until about halfway into the book, but that doesn't stop the spark of love between the two. If anything, that just makes the spark of love grow into a burning flame of passion. Which leaves us readers asking, "Can the two defy their ill fate? And if so, how will they overcome it?"

From the very first page, Morgenstern does an excellent job at creating a warm and enchanted atmosphere. She takes full advantage of her linguistic prowess in this story by describing every piece of scenery in the circus from its exquisite, black and white tents to the unusual yet charming inhabitants. Although I found the story to be quite slow and mundane at times, there was a lot of description which really captivated me and made the story come to life. I mean, I truly felt as though I were there in the circus witnessing all of the magic in the Ice Gardens and Cloud mazes with its elegant illusionists.

So, if you're a person who enjoys imagery so deep and compelling that the story comes popping out of the pages, then "The Night Circus" is a good choice for you to read. But, if you're looking for a steamy and lascivious love story between a man and a woman, then this book -sadly- is not for you. Overall, I enjoyed this book solely on the fact that its descriptions were beautiful, unique, and transcendent. And I would most likely recommend this to people I know.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

09/09/2012 page 130

SilverRaindrops Did you really deduct two stars for (view spoiler)?

Amelia Caraballo SilverRaindrops wrote: "Did you really deduct two stars for [spoilers removed]?

The Ice Garden was my favourite bit. I really felt like I was there, and could imagine it playing out like a movie in my head!"

Lol no. I gave it three stars because, although it was a good read, I didn't love it. I only liked it.

The Ice Garden was definitely one of my favorite parts. I felt like I was witnessing it before my very own eyes.

SilverRaindrops Now I really want to read your five-star-reads :).

Amelia Caraballo SilverRaindrops wrote: "Now I really want to read your five-star-reads :)."

Well, I can for sure recommend some books to you!
I think you would really like The Devouring (The Devouring, #1) by Simon Holt and Endurance  A Novel of Terror by Jack Kilborn.

Two of my favorite books filled with a lot of spooky stuff. Definitely read The Devouring. That's one that I was really hooked on!