Stephen Henning's Reviews > Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 1: Broken Bat

Batman by Doug Moench

Aug 09, 2012

bookshelves: batman, graphic-novels
Read in August, 2012

I love it when I read a Batman book that's both well written and brilliantly drawn. Knightfall is one of those. Hurrah! It's taken me a while to find one in the last couple of years.

I loved The Dark Knight Returns and the Hush/Dark Victory/Long Halloween books. My favourite Batbooks are when Bats has to be the detective, when he's really up against it and dig deep to fight the villains.

Knightfall has a great set up where Batman is due to come up against his toughest physical opponent – Bane, and yet right from the beginning of the book, he's already on the backfoot. He's sick, but has to go up against one physical challenge after another, all before he even gets to set eyes on Bane.

I discovered Knighfall in my local Waterstones, who were promoting it because of The Dark Knight Rises. I saw it at lunchtime, ummed and arred about whether to buy it, didn't, and spent the entire afternoon kicking myself.

After work, I hurried to buy it before the shop closed and couldn't wait to get home and read it. Appropriately, I was a tad poorly myself, so I just flopped on the sofa and immersed myself in Bats' struggle against sickness and adversity, while I looked out of the window and felt glad I was sheltered from Gotham-like bad weather outside. Mind you, I did have two playful kittens to deal with and they're no pushover, believe you me!

I've read some pretty ropey Batbooks of late. Thank goodness this wasn't one of them! I need the next installment now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.