Jeremy Rios's Reviews > Helping Angry People: A Short-Term Structured Model for Pastoral Counselors

Helping Angry People by Glenn Taylor

M 50x66
Aug 28, 12

Read from August 09 to 28, 2012

The focus of the book is less on anger, and more on planning a five session counselling plan for pastors. Because of this, it suffers from a confused sense of purpose--I found myself asking, "what am I supposed to get out of this?" I think a better book would have focused on one ministry or the other, whether focusing on counselling and using many different kinds of issues as examples, or focusing on anger and leaving the counselling training aside.

As it stands, there isn't quite enough about anger, and the counselling portions are a little too technical and dense for the beginning reader (i.e., if you have no counselling training whatsoever I think you'll be lost).

Lastly, a significant portion of the book is a series of invented conversations between an imaginary couple (Bill and Joy) and their pastor. I understand the choice of method, but these, in my opinion, didn't work out so well. One example must suffice. The husband, who struggles with anger, says the following near the end of the sessions: "Well, I felt scared in being vulnerable. But when Joy expresses understanding, I feel accepted or, I don't know if it's the right word or not, exonerated. I feel loved and I like that." Quite frankly, people don't talk like this. Words like "vulnerable" "expressing" and "I feel loved when..." are all counsellor-speak. And counsellor-speak, while handy for training counsellors, is not very useful when learning to understand people's motives, thoughts, and needs.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helping Angry People.