Pierre's Reviews > Lord Foul's Bane

Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson

Aug 09, 2012

Read in August, 2012

The hero of this book at first reminded me of Elric of Menilbone: on the one side, a leper that has been left by his whole family and community, who ends up in a endangered world where he believes all his options, including death, will lead to insanity. On the other side, an albino who is responsible for the demise of his entire kingdom and the end of his race, who ends up wandering in a tormented world.

Thomas Covenant is a "anti-hero", as in somebody you would dislike or hate in real life. However, his feelings and thoughts are conveyed in such a way that you will feel really interested and will want to know more.

The book is very well written, the use of old English and the grandiose descriptions really help in setting the deep fantastic side of the world.
The Chronicles are to me a mix between Elric and the Lord of the Rings, but with an adult touch about terminal illness and mental torments that simply makes the book much immersive.

As a conclusion, I really enjoyed the story, although it feels a bit long at times.

Right after this book, I started the second volume of the trilogy and I hope it will correct the few defects of the first and be as full of adventures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord Foul's Bane.