Kristy's Reviews > Someday Dancer

Someday Dancer by Sarah Rubin

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: review-copy, contemporary, books-reviewed

Casey is a natural dancer. Every second of the day, she's tapping some kind of beat and moving her body to the music. No one but her grandmother believes in her, however. Her mom wants her to come down to earth and pursue a realistic path. The other girls make fun of her love of dance. It is her dream to make it into a big ballet school and show everyone what she knows she can do. When she arrives in New York, her dreams change. She'll still be a dancer but in a contemporary dance school.

Family and friends is especially important in Casey's world. Her grandmother is her rock in her little town. Whereas everyone else believes that Casey can't make it as a dancer, her grandmother is there supporting her and giving her the encouragement that she needs. It is her grandmother who helps Casey's mom understand how much dance means to Casey. Then there is Andrea, a fellow dancer with whom Casey shares her dreams, fears, and troubles. Without all of these people, Casey wouldn't be who she is.

The biggest factor in Casey's success, however, is her dedication to to making her big dreams a reality. It is so easy to fall prey to the reality trap as we grow older and start looking for a stable income that we forget to dream--to think about how to make our dreams a part of our reality. While a stable income is important, it is also just as significant to have dreams--and to have the dedication to pursue these dreams. Casey has just that. She receives a lot of negative criticism each day, and she goes through many obstacles in her path to becoming a dancer. Still, she never gives up and goes on to prove to everyone that she was right to pursue her dreams.

Someday Dancer is an inspiring read about pursuing your dreams and never forgetting who you are. It is about forgiveness, friendship, dreams, and family. I recommend this for upper elementary and tween readers.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog Imaginary Reads.
Imaginary Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someday Dancer.