Tyler's Reviews > Lucifer, Vol. 11: Evensong

Lucifer, Vol. 11 by Mike Carey

Sep 16, 10

bookshelves: reviewed

For me, there has always been this beautiful and unspoken relationship between Vertigo's fantasy titles. I feel that whenever a character visits hell, we are looking at the same place, just different parts of it. It doesn't matter who the author or the artist is, there is always just a certain feel to it all. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't read these different titles, but suffice to say that it feels like all these great authors and artists all got together, many many years ago and figured out how everything should look and feel and function, and then set out a time line as to who should put out what and when. I know it sounds like a fantastic idea, but with writers of fantasy, I would expect no less. Lucifer was a series that, much like Neil Gaiman's Sandman books that the titular character was lifted from, delved into mythos from many people and places, not focusing just on the Christian religion that most people know Lucifer to be from. There were many things in the Lucifer series that, while they were explained in the context of the story and I understood them while reading, it was not until much later that I really understood the work Mike Carey put into the series. I find that in my day to day routine of life, years after reading Lucifer, I am still discovering little gems that he slipped in throughout the series. Maybe that is the power of well written literature, for you to remember it and for it to affect you well on after you have finished reading it. If that truly is the case, then Mike Carey truly has crafted a great story in Lucifer. This was one of the first Vertigo fantasy series' that I read and, after reading many others, I can say this with confidence: it is a great starting point if you are finding yourself bewildered by the sheer amount of different Vertigo titles you can choose from. If you have read other titles and are looking for another big story to get into, this will also work for you in wondrous ways. I cant recommend Lucifer enough. Seriously, just read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucifer, Vol. 11.