Sridhar Reddy's Reviews > Morning Glories, Vol. 3: P.E.

Morning Glories, Vol. 3 by Nick Spencer

2091769
Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels

These 'Morning Glories' books are really running my patience to a raw nerve. While I appreciate plot twists, ending every issue and scene with a new question, or character, or absolutely random development is not, in my books, building a compelling story, it's sloppy writing. What we're supposed to be processing as a "complex" story is instead a writer out of control. I've been trying to connect the dots but it's disingenuous of a writer to keep adding a dozen or so new dots at each turn.

Equally disappointing is the artwork. The facial expressions are good but there is little to no consistency in the figures - some frames veer wildly as a character will have an entirely different body shape, and the coloring of the book remains uninspired and bland.

The only saving grace is the beautiful cover artwork, which makes me wish that the interior art were only so lush and vibrant.

I've stuck with this book through three collected editions, and am now beyond giving it the benefit of the doubt. Nick Spencer is in dire need of a good editor, someone who will tell him that he's not building a narrative, he's simply piling ideas on top of one another and calling a mystery because every plot point ends with a question or someone curtly interrupting the dialogue. In some way, eventually, Spencer must know how it's going to all coalesce, but he's stretched it past the point of breaking. His narrative is broken into a thousand pieces, and to repair that is something that is asking a LOT of his readership. Sometimes there's such a thing as too many ideas, and restraint must be shown. The lack of restraint by Spencer results in a completely unfocused and busy piece of work, one that wants us to admire it for its audacity, but instead rubs me raw.

That said, I will likely read the next installation simple for the fact that I've already invested myself this far. If it continues to spin further out of control, then I will not be shocked. But as for now, my expectations remain fairly low. A disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morning Glories, Vol. 3.