Myrna's Reviews > Broken Harbour

Broken Harbour by Tana French

Aug 09, 12

Read in August, 2012

This is a book that I had to keep putting down, not because I was not enjoying it, but because I didn't want to finish it. Like a kid with a lollipop, I did not want to get to the end, it was just too good. Tana French describes police procedures like she has spent her life doing that kind of work, but it is her ability to tell a story with characters so real that you forget it is a story.

This is a story of a horrific crime, a father and two children dead in their home and the wife and mother savagely hurt and clinging to life. At first, it seems to point to the father, murder and suicide, but then it takes a strange twist. Mick and his new partner Richie have a very convoluted case to solve. But for me, the back stories were almost more interesting than the case. Mick seems to have his life under control but it that's just on the surface. His sister Dina is a wild card and adds another dimension to the book. Mick is determined to keep his past submerged but it has a way of surfacing and affecting his handling of the case and his relationship with his partner.

Tana French is on my favorite author list. Each book is better than the one before and I can't wait for her next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbour.