Helen's Reviews > Inkheart

Nov 29, 08

bookshelves: children-s-books
Recommended to Helen by: jameslhelena@bellsouth.net
Read in November, 2008

I suppose that after reading Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke, I had an idea that this book was also about dragons, but it certainly was not. Meggie is a little girl who lives with her father, Mortimer, who is a book mender who repairs and recovers books. Their house is filled with books and they both spend as much time as they can reading. One stormy night, Meggie sees a stranger standing outside their house staring up at it and runs to get her father. Her father lets the stranger in and sends Meggie back to bed, but Meggie is too curious to learn why the strange man is here. She hears enough to know that the reason for his visit is a book, and there begins a series of adventures that start with a long drive to her mother's Aunt Elinor's house. Meggie's father is taken from Elinor's house along with the book and Meggie and Elinor set off to try to get him back. Their adventures and misadventures keep you turning the pages until the end. I especially enjoyed the references to other books in this one and plan on reading the sequel, Inkspell, as soon as I can.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkheart.

11/27/2008 page 179
32.66% "I don't know why I haven't read this book, but its focus on books and reading has me enthralled so far."