Andrea's Reviews > Measuring Up

Measuring Up by Nyrae Dawn

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: favorite-reads
Read from August 12 to 13, 2012

I loved this book! Ms. Dawn's work just keeps getting better and better. So, if you haven't read her other books do yourself a favor and do so. She does a wonderful job writting about real people who have real issues.

I found this book different for a YA book. We don't often get to read great books about the girl struggling with weight and self-steem issues. I'm soo glad she tackled it and scored! I completely and totally relate to Annabel and her issues and thus cried ALOT! Her struggles are very real and I love that she's not your typical protagonist who is unflawed and beautiful but she is unsure of herself and dealing with less than supportive parents and yet somehow in the end finding her selfworth.

Brief summary of main plot:Annabel and Em are wonderful friends to each other and are there when no one else is. But once the summer before their senior year starts Annabel decides to change things and at first it's for all the wrong reasons but at the end of the book she's come full circle and her perspsective is where it should be. I don't want to give too much away but we get to go through a lot of firsts with Annabel as she meets a boy, Tegan, and he helps her through some of her hurdles but also causes her heartache.

I really love this story and would love to see Annabel, Tegan and Em revisited. Maybe after college? Well either way it's a wonderful read and one that has inspired me with my own weight issues and unhealthy habits. Thank you Ms. Dawn for a book that is very near and dear to my heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Measuring Up.