Melisa Hamling's Reviews > Mellifica: Devastating First Love

Nov 30, 13

bookshelves: favorites, cant-wait-for-book-2
Recommended for: Mature YA and adults
Read in November, 2013

Mellifica is an empowering, emotional journey sure to tug at your heartstrings.
Choices... will it be
SANDY or ARIEN

We all experience the heartache of a first love. But what happens when it changes your entire person? When promises are made and taken to the extreme, sometimes life throws a curveball, or in this case, wrecking ball, and changes everything.

Mellifica is a story of Melissa's first love, a love gone terribly wrong. She's a normal sixteen-year-old who has plenty of friends, goes to church, and has just landed Sandy,the sweetheart she's had her heart set on. Life is good, Melissa is happy with SANDY

Until...
ARIEN

Chad, Melissa's cousin, introduces her to his new buddy, Arien. Something about the way he looks at her and speaks to her draws Melissa closer to him. Eventually, she gives up on her current relationship with Sandy, partly because he breaks her trust, but the bigger reason is her sudden attraction to Arien.

Arien becomes Melissa's life, her future, her everything. He speaks beautiful thoughts, promises to love and take care of her forever, but never does she expect the gut wrenching experience she's headed toward.

When the death of one of Arien's favorite teacher's shocks Arien and the high school students, Melissa vows to take care of Arien in order to help him deal with the loss. What she doesn't expect is his sudden need to help someone else, and the many nights he doesn't contact her. She doesn't expect her whole world to come crashing down, but it does.

On top of suffering all of life's cruel blows, Melissa is also left with no friends, an overbearing mother who seems to have no understanding of the devastation her daughter is suffering. Will she regain control of her life and move past the evil blows life has dealt her?

TURMOIL. DEVASTATION. GUT WRENCHING PAIN. Will it ever end?

I seriously cried with Melissa and my heart was torn for her as I experienced her emotional turmoil. My heart rejoiced as she stepped closer to finding her true self again, though I'm sure it would take a long time to recover from such an emotional trauma to the heart and spirit. I feel like I'm trying to recover from reading such a remarkable story!

This is definitely one of my new favorites. I could only hope there would be a sequel coming in the near future to share more of Melissa's journey into her future.

*My head is still spinning over the heart wrenching drama.

11/30/2013 Update!! Book 2, MELLIFICA: Wait for Me, is now available!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mellifica.