Tam's Reviews > Little Squirrels Can Climb Tall Trees

2620907
Aug 09, 2012

bookshelves: m-m
Read in August, 2012

This was just an absolutely cute and sweet story. Joseph was just hilarious. It’s told as if he’s recounting the story (I know there’s probably a name for that style, but I’m too lazy to look it up) of how he met Kyle and how they got together. Joseph’s brain was a wondrous thing. It reminded me very much of a squirrel, leaping from idea to idea, getting totally distracted by Kyle and his amazing body, and he was quite aware of all this, but yet admitted that he was shy too, despite wanting to climb Kyle and hump his leg.

It was very sweet how Kyle seemed totally oblivious to the sexual attraction and was just enjoying Joseph for who he was, and even though he was “technically” a virgin, he was more than happy to try anything Joseph had in mind. But there were little humorous points, like Kyle was absolutely scandalized to be naked in any room but the bedroom, and he just couldn’t do it. And Joseph’s acceptance of Kyle’s wacky upbringing, able to distinguish between Kyle and his family’s beliefs, and his attempts to prop up Kyle’s self-esteem were very sweet.

It wasn’t all roses and rainbows, there were a few small blips on the road, but both were determined to see it out and I have to say, when Kyle and his new lesbian friend stood up to a room full of “Christian” bigots, quoting Independence Day no less, I wanted to cheer. There were just so many good thing, seeing Kyle’s mother attempt to understand him and his relationship, seeing his first trips on a plane and I could kind of relate to Joseph’s delight in watching Kyle’s joy in things that so many of us find humdrum and everyday, it’s kind of like having children. Sometimes the joy in an event or trip is watching your kids’ reactions, not your own joy in the moment.

There are just so many amusing moments, their banter was cute and funny and didn’t feel forced. Joseph’s brain does kind of calm down later in the book, not sure I could have taken 200 pages of a squirrel on crack, but his unwavering support and acceptance of Kyle was really sweet and heartwarming and if you need a book that will lighten your day, this is an excellent choice. I barely stopped smiling the whole time I was reading. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Squirrels Can Climb Tall Trees.

Eden Winters I'm only a little over half-way through, but am seeing, and loving, all the same things you did. There are so many excellent one-liners in here!