Nancy's Reviews > The Gilly Salt Sisters

The Gilly Salt Sisters by Tiffany Baker

Aug 30, 12

Read from August 09 to 30, 2012

Maybe I missed something earlier in the book, but until the end, I had been slightly distracted as to what time period the story took place. There were some very old-fashioned sequences and ideals, but at the same time, I was sure it was current day. Surface it to say, this books spans the lifetime of two very different sisters.

Claire Gilly is a woman of the earth, she loves the Gilly Salt Creek Farm that she has grown up on in an isolated Cape Cod village called Prospect. The land and its traditions talk to her, yet her younger sister Joanne is a different sort all together. She cannot wait to leave. This land and its history only bring heartache. It is a place that is cruel to men, they either die or leave and Joanne wants nothing to do with either ,so when she creates an opportunity and finds herself marrying the son of the wealthiest family in town, she thinks that all her sorrow is gone and her wishes have been answered.

That is not the way it is in small towns, deeply buried secrets that have a tendency to divide families will one day surface and the Gilly sisters, who have a very troublesome relationship, must decide if their bond and salt are stronger than the Turners and what they are willing to do to separate them from their land.

There were many parts of this book that I loved, the sisters’ relationship was fascinating to me, from an early age, they could not see their need for each other. Their lives were so entwined that one could truly not survive without the other. Other parts of the book, the new girl in town (see, I cannot remember her name), were not necessary. That storyline did not bring to the forefront any more information than what was apparent. The book dragged in parts and at times, I literally put it down to find something that was more interesting to read.

If you are considering a book by Tiffany Baker, I would recommend The Little Giant of Aberdeen County This one, The Gilly Salt Sisters, not as appealing or memorable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gilly Salt Sisters.