Alison's Reviews > Rocket Writes a Story

Rocket Writes a Story by Tad Hills

Aug 09, 12

Read in August, 2012

Yay for Rocket!!

We adore Rocket in our house. The 7 year old was a reluctant reader in his pre-school years. Two years ago, when Tad Hills first published How Rocket Learned To Read, I was encouraging my little guy to read and it was the PERFECT book at the perfect time.

Well, Tad Hills has done it again, and Rocket is growing with his audience. The son who was just learning to read two years ago, has picked up a pencil and is starting to write stories...just like Rocket!

We had the opportunity to meet the author/illustrator at Clinton Book Shop. Actually, I was exhausted from a very busy day, but my little guy BEGGED me to go! (I have such a smile on my face as I'm writing this, by the way.)

Tad Hills was so kind and generous with all the kids he met, and even showed them photos of the real Rocket, his dog who is the inspiration for the puppy in the book. My little guy started reading ROCKET WRITES A STORY right there in the store, and didn't take his nose out of the book until after we got home.

While Rocket learns to read from his patient yellow bird teacher in the first book, Rocket Writes a Story takes the next step - writing. Rocket has a tree filled with wonderful words that he can read and write. Now, bird encourages him to put those words together and make his own story. He does so, and makes a new friend in the process.

Rocket remains a favorite of ours, and I highly recommend the Rocket books for any child in your life!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rocket Writes a Story.