Benjamin Allison's Reviews > Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?

Linchpin by Seth Godin

M_50x66
Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: economics, creativity
Read in August, 2012

Godin's ideas, I think, are sound. Stop following the rules, trying to please your boss, and keeping your head down. White-collar desk jobs are the new factories, and what the world needs now – what the economy needs – are people willing to be authentic, do their own thing, and make art. Waiting tables can be art. Selling life insurance can be art. What matters is not necessarily where the art takes place, but simply that it does take place; that we each find what it is we're geniuses at, stop being afraid to fail (or succeed), and send our gift out into the world.

Doing so makes us indispensable. The best jobs and opportunities don't go to those of us who have bought into Capitalism's lie of safety in dollars for hours. The greatest fulfillment goes to those who are willing to challenge the status quo, find creative solutions, and stand out. People who are, as Godin calls them, Linchpins.

While he can be a bit repetitive and meandering, his casual style made this a quick read, and helped his main points to stick.

I'd say this is worth anyone's time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linchpin.