Cindy's Reviews > Shadow of Night

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

F_50x66
Sep 07, 12

Read from August 09 to September 07, 2012

I've read some of the comments and "reviews" on here for the book and I just have to start out by saying that with the advent of blogs, review pages, etc, there have been many folks who believe that they would make excellent book reviewers. I have to say the long commentary on here of them moaning and groaning and being annoyed by an author makes me want to go stick a pencil in my eye.

That being said apparently many people believe that the cosummation section of the book should have been in detail. I'm here to say that I personally believe that leaving something to the imagination is a BEAUTIFUL thing. Fifty shades of grey is SMUT and to go into graphic detail in SON would have made me want to hurl. So thank you Deborah for not being super graphic.

I love historical based fiction and that is exactly what this book's structure tends to follow. Yes it is a love story and it is about witches and vampires, but guess what, it is the details that some folks are moaning and groaning about that really set the scene. Because of the way Deborah gives detials I can vividly picture every part of the book in my mind. To me that is fantastic writing.

So if you are looking for a dirty romance novel go find Fifty Shades. If you actually want to read something that has substance/historical references then read this trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katherine Coble I'm really surprised at the people who have devoted so much of their time and energy on a book that they supposedly hate. Life is so short, yet you'll read a hefty book all the way through? And then you'll write a withering 2000 word review?!

I honestly don't get it.

I think there are a lot of people with preconceived notions about Vampire stories who are just disappointed that this book isn't one of those bare-chested man pulp novels.

Melinda I totally agree about the sex in this book, I thought it was much better without the graphic detail!

Sheena Rose SO tired of pointless reviews! They are long, contain, stupid gifs and memes and just self indulgent. The worst is when they link you to their blog.

Diana my review...plain n simple loved it..funny..great variety of personalities..great backgrounds....good story..and suptle without overdone sec and gore

Angie Agree with all of your comments. I often think the same thing about the lengthy negative reviews....why spend all of that time reading a book you don't like and then bashing the writer? And where is their novel? About a third of the way through now.

message 6: by Joana (new) - added it

Joana I love your review! Ever since I've joined this site I have rolled my eyes more than I can count. I'm just starting this book now but I have to say that it's refreshing to see someone speak up about the wannabe critics.

Melissa Youn What other historical fictions would you recommend? I am stuck waiting for the 3rd book in this series.

message 8: by Mccine (new) - added it

Mccine Mendiola-ramsey Apparently some of those that reviewed this book need to stick to either YA paranormal romance or Fifty Shades (as stated above). I, too, read a couple of reviews that said this book is "too long".. blah blah blah. Frankly, I loved the historical aspects and felt Ms Harkness wove her story throughout the time period/places/people very well. If you enjoy historical fiction, I'd recommend Philippa Gregory (The White Queen, The Red Queen, etc). Her books delve even further into the life/events/intrigue of their respective time periods. :)

Maria I agree with your views about negative book reviews. I've written a few myself, but I always try to explain why, not just say "It was too long" or "There was too much detail". And a book has to be REALLY horrible (I'm looking at you, The Almost Moon) for me not to finish it.

For Melissa, looking for historical fiction suggestions, it depends on what you like in general. If you like relationships and some intrigue, try Lauren Willig's The Pink Carnation series. If you like more substance, David Liss has a nice variety of historical fiction novels. Edward Rutherfurd is an excellent writer, but his novels are extremely long and detailed, so don't expect to move through them quickly.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie I completely agree. This trilogy is beautifully written and I am quite smitten with it.

Julie Mckinney miller I cannot put the books down! They are well written, especially how she weaves the story from past to present, and back again. Cannot wait to finish it and read the last of the trilogy.

Kelly Chambers Why don't you read down more of the reviews? There are plenty of individuals who wrote out the specifics of why they didn't like the book without ranting and raving or leaving a link to their blog. Just because somebody disagrees with your take on the book doesn't mean they are wrong. They just have a different opinion on the matter and shouldn't be bashed for it.

message 13: by Cindy (last edited Aug 15, 2014 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cindy This review was written almost two years ago. At that time there were several reviews that were conforming to the structure I described. I applaud people who state specifics. I don't think people should prescribe to my opinion just as I believe that I shouldn't be told to prescribe to theirs.