Jann Barber's Reviews > Home

Home by Toni Morrison

Aug 09, 2012

Read on August 06, 2012

I have never read a book by Toni Morrison. I understand that she usually has female protagonists. This book has Frank Money as the main character, although there are plenty of female characters populating the story.

This is a short, but powerful, story. Frank is a veteran of the Korean War and the trauma he endured while there follows him back to America. His journey to find and save his sister Cee is beautifully written.

I don't want to write any spoilers, but I will say that her opening chapter comes full circle by the end of the book. This book will make the reader think of how much bigotry and hatred have been, are, and will always be in the world. It's almost a miracle that there are so many kind and loving people when you look back over history and when you look at what is happening all over the world today. How can people treat other people so cruelly and callously? Isn't everyone entitled to dignity and the right to live without fearing other people just for walking down the street?

Added note: Two of my friends got the audio version and did not have good things to say about it. I think it detracted from the story. This is a book that is probably better in print.

P.S. Review was written after a medical procedure in which I was given propofol, so I'm a bit woozy. Hope the words all make correct sentences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.