ddjiii's Reviews > Eloise

Eloise by Kay Thompson

Jun 26, 2014

I was surprised by the things some commenters didn't like about this classic: Eloise isn't cute, she says "Oh my Lord" too much, her Nanny smokes, her situation with no parents is too sad, she is terribly spoiled. I feel most of this is sort of missing the point - Eloise is a heroic personality with a tremendously strong voice (I mean in the metaphoric English-major way, although also literally true.) And you know, the book is supposed to be funny, so you needn't take it all too seriously. To me, the only thing funnier than Eloise sklonking her stylist Vincent in the kneecap - and the picture of preening Vincent that accompanies it; really, has there ever been a more perfect union of text and illustration than Eloise? - is hearing my own 5 year old say, "Room service! Send me dinner and charge it please, thankyouverymuch!" (Although he doesn't understand why she hates Peter Rabbit.) Yes, Eloise is funnier as an adult, but that just gives all the five and six year-olds out there something to look forward to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eloise.

03/12/2016 marked as: read