Jessica's Reviews > Iron Hearted Violet

Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill

Aug 09, 12

Read in August, 2012

I loved this book. I loved Violet. I loved the world that Kelly Barnhill created that was so very like our own but just different enough to keep the reader unbalanced. I loved the power of storytelling. I enjoyed having a narrator who was not the main character, giving me a break from the "I"-centric storytelling that has taken over so much writing, yet still giving the novel a voice. Full of whimsy, humor and adventure as well as some thoughtful storytelling and themes of appearances and expectations not always matching reality as well as the effect of media (even stories) on young women.

4th through 8th grade readers of fantasy and retold fairy tales will enjoy this story that plays with the expectations of the genre. I suspect it will have more appeal to girl readers than boys, but the dragon may win them over. And the doom and gloom that begins the story and weaves its way throughout, "The end of their world begins with a story," draws in those readers who are tired of all the books with their happily-ever-after endings. But it does end well.

Beloved, I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

*** This review is based on an Advanced Reading Copy. ***
I wish that my copy had the final illustrations. I am very curious how they will affect the tone of the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Hearted Violet.

Jessica Kelly, I love your books. You may recall me gushing over "Jack" last summer. Keep them coming!

message 2: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Deal I can barely stand the wait to read this.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara  (LitHacker.com) oooh, maybe I shouldn't give away my ARC, then..do you think HS kids would like it?

Jessica It is a bit young... maybe. Do you have any naive readers? I am thinking of a few of my former students, religious families or just not so edgy who tended to like the super-clean, sweet stuff. They would have read this in high school. But for the average HS reader, it will seem too immature. If I were you, I would hold onto that ARC, maybe share it with the right kid and see what they think. Or read it yourself!