Ashley Chen's Reviews > Battlefield

Aug 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: blog-tour, must-review
Read from August 09 to 10, 2012

Okay people. The synopsis sounded cool and had potential. Alien? Intergalactic battle? Mystery? And it didn't mention romance

I have to say I really enjoyed the sci-fi aspect of the book and give it a thumbs up to the uniqueness of the book. While reading the synopsis I thought the plot was pretty basic, you know super powers, aliens, recruiting, and fighting. I can definitely see this book targeting younger teens. Even though the synopsis didn't mention romance, there was romance in it.

JD, Orlando, and Candace were okay characters, but man, oh man, Alan was by far my favourite. Okay, it is another Get-to-know-Ashley-time again. So, I really like the awkward non-human characters that tries to interact with human. Okay, I am not explaining myself right. Time for an example!

CASTEL!
description

description

"If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?"

So basically Alan was your alien who tried hard to learn human interaction type of dude.
JD was the typical dude that accepted everything quickly and wanted to do stuff. Orlando was the character that was "emo", dark, hesitant, and reserved. Oh yes, he was RICH! Candace was just a , well, girl. Haha, I didn't really felt her. I mean each of the characters had differences; they battled different things and just basically different in general. (Great Ashley, you basically didn't say much there.) With the changing POVs, it really reminded me of the changing POVs of 172 Hours on the Moon. I don't know how to explain the connection between the books, it just made me felt the same way.

Actually the book really felt the same way as 172 Hours on the Moon because with both books I thought there will be tons of epic action but it really developed later than I hoped. The book really revolved around the teens lives and not super BAMF fighting. This lead to me thinking how this book was a little too slow paced. Maybe I am shallow but I wanted to book to move along with the plot. I know Battlefield is the first book so I didn't really mind when I didn't get a lot of the sci-fi fighting and such but more character development, but I guess I was a little disappointed. I still don't really know what the battle actually is. I would love to find out.

There were some parts that I puzzled me. Okay, you know how I mentioned Orlando was rich. Well apparently he has this secret section in the mansion (whoa so Batman), and his sister never noticed. I mean come on girl! How can you not notice!

Oh! I reeaalllyy loved how the author mentioned Ikea. Ikea is like my heaven. I can spend my whole life in Ikea if it has a Chapters inside.

Okay, the ending. Let's talk about the ending. I don't think cliffhanger is the right word but I don't think I have a better word for it since the book just ended. It felt like parts of the book was stolen by aliens. I was flipping on my kindle app and thinking "wait, it is over? But what? *flips page but gets stuck because it reached the end.*

Anyway, this book wasn't all that I hoped for. I might read the next one but I might not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battlefield.