Rusty's Reviews > A Town Like Alice

U 50x66
Sep 14, 2012

bookshelves: classic, 1001-books, romance
Read from August 09 to 14, 2012

Jean Paget is caught up in a war, learns how strong she is and finds a most interesting man, marching around Malaya. (This part of the novel was based in part on an actual event that occurred in Sumatra in WWII, where Dutch female prisoners were marched around the island for 2-1/2 years.) Finally, she and other women find a village where they survive war by caring for rice paddies with the blessing of the Japanese. I so enjoyed this part of the novel.

She returns home to take up a rather mundane existence in a factory. When an attorney calls, she discovers an inheritance that makes her wealthy and her life changes dramatically. The attorney tells the story and becomes fascinated with this young woman, her story and her experiences. If he had been younger he would, he admits, have fallen in love with her. As it is, he is totally dedicated to helping her use her inheritance as she plans. Her uncle had said that if she inherited his money she would need approval for spending until she reached the age of 35. It's a wonderful novel based on the author's own experiences in Australia. The reader gets a look at wartime prisoner treatment and life in the Australian outback. Great read!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Town Like Alice.

08/14/2012 page 374
100.0% "When I find myself reading without documenting progress, I'm either traveling without a computer or so involved in the read that it doesn't matter. For this one it's both. Jean Paget is caught up in a war, learns how strong she is and finds a most interesting man. After marching around Malaya at the wim of Japanese soldiers she"
08/14/2012 page 274
76.0% "When I find myself reading without documenting progress, I'm either traveling without a computer or so involved in the read that it doesn't matter. For this one it's both. Jean Paget is caught up in a war, learns how strong she is and finds a most interesting man. Marching around Malaya, she and other women find a village where they survive war by caring for rice paddies. She returns home to discover an inheritance."

Rusty My fingers edited before I was done!

message 2: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I remember seeing a series on PBS many years ago. I believe I liked it. Maybe someday I'll get to the book!

Rusty I try to read some classics with my other reads and this one is one of those I chose this year. So glad I did. It's worth taking time to read.