Dana Kenedy's Reviews > Neverwhere

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Jan 19, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, contemporary, humour, action-adventure
Read in January, 2009

When it comes to Neil Gaiman, I’ve found that people either love him or hate him. I came across his novel “Neverwhere” for $2 so I decided to give it a try and I’m glad that I did!

The story was so fun and ingenious; another world with a touch of fantasy right under our noses. He made it seem plausible. It wasn’t a typical fantasy novel in the sense that they were in 15th century England and there’s an elf, and a man, and they have to save the elf princess, etc. It reminded me of “Alice in Wonderland”, except with a grown man instead of a little girl

It was more story oriented than it was character driven. They were all a bit flat and not as much depth as I had hoped for – and with a story like this you can most certainly explore characters in far more detail than Gaiman did. The Marquis, though, was the one character that seemed more developed than the others, but that only started to show within the last third of the book.

Gaiman is a very funny writer; his humour is somewhat Douglas Adams inspired. Several sentences made me laugh out loud – particularly many of Richard’s.

If you are solely a character person, then stay away. But I would recommend it if you like a fun novel that keeps you reading; something entertaining to fill a void.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverwhere.

01/15/2009 page 265