Judith's Reviews > Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting

Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata

Nov 27, 08

This was written by the science editor for the New York Times, and it tells the history of dieting, including current research. It never occurred to me how much dieting research is going on, and how much of it is so highly political, involving the drug companies, governmental agencies, and the back-stabbing infighting of academics and other scientists, and lots of money. The bottom line, as I read it, is that no diet has ever worked or will ever work. Our genes pretty much define our weight and it has very little, if anything to do with willpower. Some parts of the book lag because it becomes overly technical, but most of it reads like a medical mystery story. Very enjoyable and informative.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rethinking Thin.

Sandi This book sounds interesting and I'm going to keep an eye out for it. If you liked this, you'll probably like Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Thinkby Brian Wansink, Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Worksby Evelyn Tribole, and The Omnivore's Dilemmaby Michael Pollan. (I was doing a lot of this kind of reading for a while.) What all of these books show is how much our eating is influenced by outside sources and how little control we have over it. I think that our society really needs to start focusing less on weight and more on health and fitness. Unfortunately, health and fitness has become code for losing weight and thinness is associated with being healthy. Neither is necessarily true.

Judith thanks. i actually read Intuitive Eating and loved it. I got bogged down by the writing style of The Omnivore's Dilemma so didn't finish it. But i will definitely check out Mindless Eating. after i posted my review of Rethinking Thin, i checked out the other reviews of the book and discovered that just about everyone liked it as much or more than i did, so i think it's a definite must read.