Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > Last Request

Last Request by Arlene Webb

Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: erotic, contemporary, suspense-mystery, m-f
Read in August, 2012

Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

What would you ask for if you were being put to death tomorrow and had one last request? Joan Bennett decided to forgo the customary last meal and asked, instead, for an unprecedented conjugal visit.

I can say, without a doubt, this is the most unusual and unexpected story I've ever read. Set twenty years in the future, Joan is a convicted killer on the fast track to the electric chair. She emails the head of a dating service, asking for a hook up of one night before she's put to death. Unknown to her, Wesley Jenkins had been assigned to investigate that same dating service and had placed a similar request. Fireworks explode when the investigative reporter discovers his date is the convicted murderer he'd covered two years prior.

Ms. Webb has a very unusual and sophisticated writing style. I had to read a little slower than I usually do to catch all the details and piece together the story, but once I got used to it, I enjoyed the surprises and turns she took. This particular tale was perfect in the short story format, any longer and it would have lost some of its pizzazz.

I will say the happily ever after was a bit of a stretch, and may have been a little easier to accept in a longer story with more development, but in a fairy tale mindset, it was a satisfying end. If you're looking for a short, unusual love story, Last Request is a fun one to pick up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Request.