esmepie 's Reviews > I Was Told There'd Be Cake

Nov 27, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: memoir
Read in November, 2008

I'll pretty much read any essay collection so I didn't have super high hopes when I picked this up, though the recs on the covers were strong. I was also intrigued by how young the author is--you must be pretty special to be writing full-time when you're in your twenties.

Overall, it was okay. I had a few laugh-out-louds and a few hmmmm-that-was-interesting moments, but overall, it was just okay. First, filled with cultural references that will not stand the test of time. Many do not even stand the barely-past-forty test. Also, lots of run-on and poorly constructed sentences. I often finish contemporary writing thinking, where or where have the editors gone. Just too clunky.

Finally, a book of "funny" essays like this makes you so appreciate someone like David Sedaris. Frankly, it's really hard to be funny. Writers like Sedaris make it seem effortless and that's the brilliance of true comedic writing.

Perhaps not fair to compare all comedy writing to Sedaris, but there you have it. Fair or not, he is the gold standard of this generation.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was Told There'd Be Cake.