Sam's Reviews > Wizard and Glass

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Aug 09, 2012

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** "Bird and Bear and Hare and Fish, Give my love her fondest wish."

Book IV of Stephen Kings epic saga follows the Ka tet of Roland, Jake, Eddie and Susannah as they continue their journey to the mystical Dark Tower in End World.
After having survived the hellish journey with Blaine the Pain the Gunslingers find themselves in Topeka, Kansas.
The core of this book is used to tell a story of Rolands youth. One of friendship, love, betrayal, war, tradegy and destiny.
I found the tragic story of Rolands youth riveting. It's a story that consumes most of the books 840 pages but one that is all the better for the time taken to tell it.
It was a real joy to learn more about Rolands friendship with Cutherbert and Alain and their journey to Mejis on, what was originally stated as, a routine scouting/stock taking trip.
We learn of the plight of Susan Delgado and her tragic promise to the towns Mayor Thorin, the love and lust that develops between Roland and Susan, the betrayal of a towns loyalty, the strains of friendship and a the brutal, tragic discovery of Rolands future destiny all told through Kings brilliant character dialgoue and narrative.
I genuinely felt sorry for Roland as Susan meets her tragic fate. Testiment to the quality of the story telling by King.
Also for the first time in the series we get a sense of the truly dark and grim nature of Rolands world as we wince as Susan is proved 'honest' by the nausea inducing Rhea of the Coos. A vial, mystical witch consumed by the glam of the Wizards Glass.
The character of Rhea is a great addition to the series and introduces a much darker tone to the book. She truly comes across as a hideous, vile woman with a taste for reptile intimacy and a thirst for blood.
I was agnonisingly close to giving this book a 5 star review but sadly the chapters following Rolands story lean towards being too cheesy for my taste. The references to the Wizard of Oz (Including them all having to wear red shoes) seemed a little out of place after the bloody, tragic ending of Rolands tale. I felt it could have been handled differently and was too whimsical.
The glass tower was a nice addition and I could clearly imagine it in my head, especially the throne and the appearance of the 'Ageless Stranger' was a nice surprise.

And now for Book V :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard and Glass.