PhobicPrerogative's Reviews > The Princesses of Iowa

Aug 09, 2012

it was ok
Read in August, 2012

*some spoilers!

It would have been so easy to not bother with this story because of the protagonist who seems to have it all - hot, popular, smart.
However, a few pages in, I understood why Paige Sheridan was what she was: with the mother she had, I could see why this girl had been moulded into what she was, an unlikeable, bratty girl who could be rather bitchy.

I did get a bit lost during some conversations/banter, and I thought that the story carried on for far too long. I suppose writing a book for six years can do that.

What I wished the author had covered in more depth were the relationships between Paige and her parents.
Paige had mentioned that she and her dad used to do things together, like fishing, and it seemed that she was wistful about spending time with him.
At some point, I was really tired of reading all that constant angst with her friends and I wanted to see how things would pan out with her parents.
The author skimmed over that; her mother got fired but there was no confrontation between her and Paige, and her Dad told her to kick butt when people were giving her a hard time.
To me, the whole reason Paige seemed to be what she was had more to do with her mother than with her friends. I felt a little cheated from a blow-up or heart-to-heart, where Paige would have actually stood up for herself with her Mum.

The ending felt rushed, though, particularly the focus on homophobia. The drunk driving issue took precedence, yet there were two characters - Jeremy and Mr. Tremont - whose stories would have been enhanced a wee bit.
And really, Paige, Lacey and Nikki became friends again? What was that about? It really annoyed me because they didn't seem to have patched things up before they were sharing a stage.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princesses of Iowa.

Ceillie Simkiss I felt like Paige, Lacey and Nikki didn't really become friends. I felt like they just got over themselves a little on stage because they all did believe in the cause that they were supporting, and that was more important.