Laura's Reviews > The Happiest Refugee: A Memoir

The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do

Oct 11, 2015

bookshelves: biography, kindle, non-fiction
Read from September 07 to 11, 2015 — I own a copy

I'd wanted to read this memoir for AGES but I kept putting it off due to the price and well...book space..lol..THEN I got a kindle and forgot the books until last month where I saw Anh's named mentioned and it jogged my memory about wanting to read all about his life!

I had a few laugh out loud moments while reading and enjoying this memoir..It's writen in a style that is pretty basic but very easy to pick up and enjoy while he making fun of his life from a little one to who he is today.

His family escaped Vietnam for greener pastures..Who knew they couldn't be taken aboard a rescue boat until they destroyed their own!! He is super lucky to be alive considering the pirates raids and how dodgy the boat was.

This book focuses on his life growing up - how important family are, being granted to live in another country, take education seriously, work hard, give back to the community, dress your baby brother in girls clothes, how even though family is important not everything is that sweet but you can still work your way through it, to finding love, to not giving up and finally being able to reward his mother who put herself forward so much for her family.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiest Refugee.

09/07/2015 marked as: currently-reading