Hema's Reviews > The Devil Wears Prada

F 50x66
Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit, humor
Read in August, 2012

Andrea sachs, fresh out of college, takes her time to enjoy life before she finds herself a good job. Little did she know that this was her much needed break before her employment with The Runway. She is assigned under the boss from hell or the devil herself, Miranda Priestly. Lauren Weisberger, starts there and never gives a break about how Miranda has turned Andrea's life a living hell. Andrea put up with all the torture because she has been assured that a year at Runway would win her a good career anywhere she wanted.

Thus starts the phase where she constantly takes order and works like a slave. Miranda is portrayed as a woman who never cares about anything around her but just herself. I mean her spending spree is such that it would cost a major portion of Elias Clarks accounts. But yet Miranda's boss has taken no means of atleast trying to make her understand and he is only one she very readily accomodates.

Andrea often complains about her work to her family and friends but none (even me) seem to understand that her job was indeed very demanding that she cannot spare a minute for her own food, let alone chit chat. Miranda constantly abuses, belittles and tortures her and yet she bears them so that she can get a better career elsewhere. I do not understand how can anyone in a standard organisation treat another employee so bad (I do understand there are all types of bosses but Miranda was just too wicked), just because they were famous and had power.

I think Andrea should have done the last part way ahead and moved on. The whole drama was becoming more and more boring after half the book. I liked the film better though there have been some major differences between them. But the crux was the same and the director had made a better version of the novel. And her relationship with her boyfriend, friends or family is totally indepth in the book and different. I skipped some paragraph about the clothes, the designer labels or the various types of makeups (seriously I had never seen them) and that was the only place I could relate with Andrea. We both were completely lost in sense of fashion. I was totally disappointed with the book and the author.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil Wears Prada.