Angie's Reviews > Lord of the Fading Lands

Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson

Nov 26, 08

bookshelves: absolute-train-wreck, standard-prn-fare
Read in November, 2008

I waited for this one to become available at the library for quite awhile. It was always checked out and that, coupled with the rather rave reviews I'd read, made me excited to get my hands on it. The cover is decidedly hokey, but I've come to regret bouts of cover-snobbery many a time before. So I resolved not to let it get to me this time. Besides. I finished the book and still can't wrap my mind around what the tairen actually look like. So the creature on the cover is as good a rendering as any, I'm sure.

Essentially, it is a Cinderella story. One in which the prince is actually a king. A massively overbearing, centuries old king at that. Rain Tairen Soul is well-known throughout the world as the man who almost destroyed it all when his beloved was killed. His rage was of such a magnitude that it nearly scorched the world. Thousands upon thousands died as a result. This all took place nigh unto a thousand years ago and Rain has spent the intervening years basically trying to hang onto his sanity and not give into his anger and sorrow. Enter Ellie--found on the side of the road as a child and taken in by a woodcarver and his wife. In a moment of utter terror, her soul cries out and Rain's hears it. He comes immediately to her rescue and the two of them attempt to make sense of what has happened to them. And what has happened is that they are soul mates. That's right. Rain has love thrust upon him centuries after he thought he was through with it for good. And Ellie has it swoop down upon her for the first time in her life. It's all very anguished and touching.

Except it's not.

I don't know if it's just that the story's been done before and in more compelling ways. Or if it's the he's older than Methuselah and she's a spring chicken ick factor. But it didn't do it for me. It's like the whole time the story was telling me, I am So Epic. Bask in my epicness! And Rain was storming around yelling at me, I am So Tortured. Revel in my anguish! Meanwhile, Ellie was tip-toeing around in his wake whispering, I am fragile but with a Core Of Steel. Underestimate me at your peril! But none of it felt real. It just felt like the veneer of epicness and torture and steel cores. There was also a string of women drugged and manipulated against their will which really rubbed me wrong. And did anyone else think Ellie should totally be with Bel? Or was that just me? Now the story certainly had its sweet moments. How could it not? At just over 400 pages, it never gets beyond the courtship stage of Rain and Ellie's relationship. But even then, I didn't feel like they got to know each other well. But I didn't feel like I knew them either so it wasn't that great a loss. I do have to say that this book (and series) is dearly beloved by many so, clearly, your mileage may (and probably will) vary. It may very well fly for you. But, for me, it never got its feet off the ground.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Fading Lands.

11/13/2008 page 50

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Eeek--sounds pretty contrived. I don't mind a May-December thing--I'm a huge fan of the Mary Russell series, after all. But this one sounds meh.

Angie Oh, yeah. I love the Russells as well. They never give me the icky feeling. But this one somehow did. It just felt so tired.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Yah, the relationship in the Russells seems so real and crackling. This one doesn't sound like it comes off realistically at all.

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam Reminds me of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth books... there were times when I wanted to put it down but just kept reading to see what happened next. That was especially true of the one that was basically Ayn Rand's We the Living in a fantasy setting, right down to the millet and linseed oil. We the Living was good, but once was enough for me.

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Yeah, sheer morbid curiosity has dragged me through quite a few books I'd have been better off throwing in the giveaway box a few chapters in.

Carolyn I agree, this one seems to be a love-it or hate-it kind of book. For me, none of the characters rang true, just tired - tired and shallow tropes.
I love your whole last paragraph - 'bask in my epicness' indeed! = )

Shell Schroth Hahahahahah.. 'I am so Epic... Bask in my epic-ness'
Too funny.. I am reading this book right now, and so far, I'm not loving it...

Angie Carolyn, that's exactly it. Shallow tropes. Just no depth.

Shell, I'm sorry. I expected better going in as well.

Goldie I agree with you completely, I couldn't get past the first third of the book, mostly because the female character has no character. I hate undeveloped females, especially ones that need to be protected because they're delicate flowers with inability to take their fates into their own hands. Ugh, and the romance was very overwhelmingly boring and unrealistic.

Celine I've started this 2 days ago and already I'm sorry. My god the possessive protectiveness is hitting maximum and Ellie....dear Ellie with the blue gooey eyes or was it green?? the only interesting character so far is Bel! Bel! Bel! Bel! they should so be together, they have magic (ahaaa) and a connection. the moment Ellie touches Bel's cheek: now that was epic!

message 11: by Angie (new) - rated it 1 star

Angie Goldie, she was such a nonentity, wasn't she? Disappointing.

Celine, ugh. Everything about this book is gooey and unformed. I LOVE BEL. He was the best thing (by far) about this book. Why didn't she take it in that direction?!

Celine Nonentity is an accurate description! And trying to convince us of the opposite.... it did not work at all!

all the Mamaaa-in and Papa-ing, I could hear that voice (nagnagnag) grr such a fragile being with no spine, just waiting for a husband to (literally) fall out of the sky and always 'feeling different' puhleaaaase: how often did I hear that? No you are not different, you are just boneless and silly romantic and if you weren't this lucky you would be forever waiting for something to happen to you instead of making thinks happen!

Bel was the only interesting character in the whole book! He had depth, history, true issues, I was soooo interested in Bel! and the whole quintet was cool too, Kielan the young funny one.... why not write the book about them? in stead of this boring boring couple???

Rachel haha, i disagree with you i liked the book, but i totally understand where your coming from and it was really funny how you summed it up.

message 14: by Pat (new) - rated it 1 star

Pat Patterson So far I agree: "Bask in my epic-ness!" I have 100 pgs left to go and if this thing is going to go epic it had better get cracking

message 15: by Twenty (new)

Twenty One I so agree with everything you said! I picked up the book to lose myself for a while and it was such a sad phoney mess that made me want to grow something.

message 16: by Mari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mari I disliked the book myself, but I think you should stop reading( or at least believing) Tropes and Idioms.