Kelly's Reviews > The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

1719023
Dec 01, 08

Recommended for: pilot's wives, wives in general, women
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

I really liked this book more than I thought I would. The reviews I had read (on Amazon, I think) all seemed disappointed and felt that Shreve ended the book prematurely. In this case, I think it was a perfectly fine place to end it. You can guess how the story would continue after all is said and done. You know there might end up being a friendship. You know there probably will be a relationship. Since you know what will probably happen, it's okay.

I actually found myself bored in the beginning of the book and felt it dragged on forever. Things really picked up about 3/4 of the way through the book. There is one part of the book where the imagery is so strong that you feel the betrayal, pain, and bitter resentment that Kathryn feels. You just feel livid reading it. It's an excellent passage of writing and SO realistic that you'll find yourself thinking about it (and stewing) for days. It's worth reading for the latter half of the book alone.

Maybe I liked this book so much because I'm a former flight attendant...and I saw a few of the topics this book touches on in reality. The fact that it's plausible is what's scary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilot's Wife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ella-b-ella (new)

ella-b-ella Thank you for this review, I agree. I thought it was a great book with some beautiful pieces of writing in it. Ok the plot was a little unrealistic but I guess if we alway read things that weren't we would get bored!