Amy's Reviews > American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America

American Grown by Michelle Obama

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: cooking
Read from August 08 to 20, 2012

I picked this book up because I have great respect and admiration for Michelle Obama. I think it is wonderful that she was able to start the White House Kitchen Garden. This book talks about how the idea came about and the struggles they had getting it started. I found it interesting how the garden is used for many things such as teaching children, providing fresh vegetables for the White House chefs to use, providing extra resources for the local soup kitchen, and a feeling of community for the White House staff and anyone who visits the garden. I enjoyed reading about the other community gardens across the country. I also thought it was nice that there were even a few recipes included to highlight the vegetables being grown through the different seasons. There is even a section about the "Let's Move" program to fight childhood obesity. I wasn't sure I would enjoy a book on gardening, but since this one is so much more than just a "how to", I found it very interesting reading. I also really liked the garden photos.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Grown.