Julia Reed's Reviews > Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

F 50x66
Aug 08, 2012

Read in August, 2012

If I had my way, every person in America would read this book. You would get a copy when you were born, and your parents would read it to you after they'd finished with fairy tales and before tucking you in at night. You'd get another when you started elementary school, one at the beginning and end of middle school. You'd get one at age 13, 15, and 18. You'd take your copy on your first date and the person you'd chosen to first date with would bring their copy, and all first dates would be just a comparison of the lessons you each had gleaned. You'd get another copy in the middle of each relationship, and another when you broke up. You'd be given copies at pre-wedding festivities, it would be read aloud before the "I Dos", and you and your spouse would give and get fresh copies at each anniversary. You'd get more Sugar when your children were born, and when they were growing, and when they were grown. You'd get copies when you started and ended each job, gold plated copies for retirement, and finally, they would read from Sugar to your tearful descendants when they laid you in the ground. If I had my way there would be copies of this book in every social workers office, every classroom, every house of worship, every jail, hospital, nursing home, and of course, every library. Politicians would submit Sugar essays before being deemed eligible to run. When you pulled open a drawer in a lonely hotel room, you'd see Tiny Beautiful Things laying there, right next to the Bible. If I didn't have to do things like earn a living, I would be a one woman Gideon Society for Dear Sugar, because her advice is so good, so honest, so hilarious, so sad, and so full of grace that I think we all need to know it. Maybe if we had all had Sugar all of our lives, instead of just discovering her now, we would be a more compassionate country, we would be kinder to each other and communicate more honestly, we would be better healed. I don't get to have my way (as Sugar would say, "Sweet pea, that's life."), I don't get to mandate Sugar readings for all U.S. citizens. But I do get to write book reviews, and so I can just say to anyone that is reading this, please stop. Go out and get Tiny Beautiful Things whatever way you (legally) can, and read it. Then do what I did and put it down, take a deep breath, turn it over, and read it again. I can't promise it will instantly fix your problems or make you a better person, but I feel comfortable promising that you won't be sorry.

Dear Sugar, wherever you are, thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiny Beautiful Things.

02/05 marked as: read

message 1: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Ismail I feel the same about this book. It has helped me so much. When my daughter left home to study in the US, I gave her a copy of this book. Hopefully it will provide some of the answers she will be looking for in different phases of her life.

message 2: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny This is such a beautiful review. Oh my God.