Vanessa's Reviews > Batman and Robin, Vol. 1: Born to Kill

Aug 08, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: superhero, dc, modern-age
Read in January, 2012

I think this volume will appeal a lot more to newer or more casual fans. I like the tone. As a pretty big Batman fan, this volume just doesn't work for me. The art is nice. I like most of the dialogue. Alfred is great here, and I'd probably recommend this to anyone that really likes Alfred. It isn't necessarily a bad volume.

This story just feels too similar to other stories with Damien. While the rest of Damien's time as Robin remains in continuity, he seems to have lost all of the character development he went through during this time. In developing Bruce and Damien's relationship, Damien takes several steps backward that I don't think were necessary and adds to the feeling that this story is too familiar.

I don't like his characterization of Batman. I cannot see Bruce being this bad at relating with Damien. Bruce sometimes comes across as clueless, but even in this continuity it has been established that he relates pretty well with children. I also just can't see Bruce allowing Damien to be Robin knowing he is not wanting to follow the no killing rule. In this volume, Damien continues to not really face any consequences for his actions, which is a big problem for his character.

I really disliked Nobody, as he felt like a retread of quite a few other Batman villains. He is very similar to Hush, Wrath, and Prometheus. I just don't find the anti-Batman storyline all that interesting. I kind of have this problem with most of the villains introduced in the DCNU. They just feel like more of the same. Also, killing an established character off to set-up a one-off villain is never okay.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman and Robin, Vol. 1.