Amy's Reviews > The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling

The Year of Learning Dangerously by Quinn Cummings

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: sociology, parenting
Read from August 11 to 12, 2012

I don't home school. Beginning a few weeks from now, both of my children will be in the neighborhood public school, and I'll be working hard as a parent to ensure that they are getting an excellent education there for as long as we're able to stick it out.

The good thing about this book is that the author respects and appreciates that, because she's been there. Quinn Cummings is a normal parent trying to navigate the often-polarized waters of homeschooling as an average citizen and having a bit of a hard time finding her family's "tribe" in the movement-- she visits fundamentalist and evangelical gatherings, park playdates, etc and concludes that they'll just be doing it their way and doing the best they can for their daughter. Throughout the narrative, she includes excellent information on the homeschool movement, its impact on American education, and where she sees parent-led education going in the next decades.

This book is a shot in the arm to those of us who have read other homeschooling books and thought, "that's not me." Her honesty combined with scholarly research make this option far more palatable than the vast majority of other homeschool authors who are rigidly convinced that this is the only way to go-- this book is homeschooling for the rest of us.

So my children will start back to their neighborhood school in a couple of weeks, but if it doesn't work out, I feel like Quinn's got my back. This is worth reading if you have or will have school-age children and are not 100% sure what to do about their education-- or if you are even marginally fascinated with the homeschool movement. Also, Quinn is laugh-out-loud funny!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Learning Dangerously.