Emily's Reviews > D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri d'Aulaire

Sep 19, 12

The most ancient of stories can still entrance the youngest of readers. Compiling hundreds of classic Greek myths, D'Aulaires' Book is like Ovid's Metamorphoses for kids. The narrative flows from one subject or story to the other with great ease (view spoiler), and myths can be read one by one or as a part of the greater story. There is an invaluable index in the back that lists characters and myths specifically, which is too helpful when you're trying to remember details about the battle of Troy or how Dionysus was born. Heroes and monsters and gods are laid out in pictures alongside their stories in bright colors, enhancing this imaginative odyssey.
This was one of the books that really shaped me as a child and sparked a real love of myth and legend. Being a keystone of our narrative history it's something I'd suggest everyone read at lease once in their life. An excellent resource and an enthralling story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths.