Katie's Reviews > The Penultimate Peril

The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket

Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from August 08 to 09, 2012

Lemony Snicket is a genious of the best kind. This series cannot simply be categorized as children's books, because the complexity and utter darkness of the themes in them resonate with audiences of all ages. As a child, I didn't realize what deep messages he was hiding in his words and characters, but now that I am older I do see them, and they amaze me.
Unlike most series, the books get consecutively better as they go on, culminating in this second-to-last novel that cannot be described as anything less than brilliant. This one is the one that impressed upon me the scope of what V.F.D. has been struggling against all along: not just the evil people of the world, but the evil within themselves as well.
If you did not read these books when you were younger, be not ashamed to dive into their pages now. Neglecting to experience A Series of Unfortunate Events is to miss out on what I truly believe is one of the best series ever written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penultimate Peril.

Quotes Katie Liked

Lemony Snicket
“The burning of a book is a sad, sad sight, for even though a book is nothing but ink and paper, it feels as if the ideas contained in the book are disappearing as the pages turn to ashes and the cover and binding--which is the term for the stitching and glue that holds the pages together--blacken and curl as the flames do their wicked work. When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .”
Lemony Snicket, The Penultimate Peril