Emma's Reviews > The Swiss Family Robinson

The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss

Aug 08, 12

No, I am not a hater of classics. But, if you are spending several chapters at a time describing the makings a simple slip knot, I can't hang on any longer. I didn't finish this book, because I thought I would surely cry with boredom.
My mom gave me the challenge of reading five classics one summer. Swiss Family Robinson was my first. Not only did I not finish it, I put it back on my shelf, shuddered, and I do believe my bookmark is still in there to this day. That was two years ago.
If you are a very technical person, and like details and excruciatingly tedious descriptions of how to make a boat, fort, or proper knot, then you will love this book. If this bores you even slightly, you probably will feel compelled to poke your eyes out with restlessness.
The concept is that a family gets stranded on a deserted island, and is forced to fend for themselves until they get rescued. That's pretty much the entire story. Of course, it could become a real cliff-hanger in the end, but I didn't make it that far. I had nightmares for weeks about the endlessness of it all.
You know what? I'm not dedicating any more time to a review of this book. Sorry it wasn't detailed, it pains me to even think too hard about this "classic."
The Swiss Family Tedium, more like.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swiss Family Robinson.