Jacqueline's Reviews > Dark Side of the Moon

Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Apr 08, 10

bookshelves: author-sherrilyn-kenyon, series-dark-hunter
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; but the series was recommended by a kind Books-A-Million
Recommended for: Anyone who loves sarcastically dry humor, sexy characters, and kick ass fight scenes.
Read in December, 2006, read count: Three times now

Dark Side of the Moon was exceptional!

Definitely one of my high ranking favorites in the series, this book really was amazing. Both the romantic plot between Ravyn and Susan and the "active plot" within the book were astounding. I found the idea of using Stryker's desire for a home base in Seattle and being temporarily in league with the humans an amazing idea for the book. Not only was the action and drama amazing in the story line, but as part of the series one got to see much more of the Squire's side of life, another facet to Stryker's complicated character, an introduction of Satara, and see a tad bit more of Savitar as a character as well as the beginning formation of Nick's life as a vengeful Dark-Hunter against Acheron.

The amount of relevance Dark Side of the Moon had to the series is phenomenal, with a truly action-packed plot. Not one second of the book houses any "dead space," or anything that can be seen as such.

On a side note, I also truly loved how Sherri decided to end this book. Aside from the development of Stryker with Nick, unlike other DH novels this book does not end with Ravyn being released from Artemis' service. The reasoning was sound and interesting, and was just another aspect as to why Dark Side of the Moon truly kicked ass.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Side of the Moon.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Screw reality. It don’t feed my dog. It don’t make my Porsche payments. It don’t get me laid. Bullshit does that…and I like it that way. (Leo)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know, if my life was a horse, I’d shoot it. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“We're not the damned, folks, we're the categorically fucked. - Urian”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I mumble hocus-pocus and the next thing you know, I’m a cat. (Ravyn)
I suppose it’s a step up. The last guy I had in my house could only turn into a beer-drinking pig. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know I can’t go out there. There’s daylight outside. (Ravyn)
Well, that’s what happens when the big yellow ball comes up over the mountains. Amazing isn’t it? (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You don’t knock on the devil’s door, boy, unless you want him to answer. (Ravyn)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Best hope for what, Catman? Death? Bankruptcy? You know, my life was going along…well, rather crappily, to be honest, but at least no one was trying to kill me and no one was dying around me. Since I met you, my life has taken the high road to Shitsville, with no off-ramp in sight. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Uh-huh. You know with that sinister tone you should look into working for the IRS. I’m sure they’re desperate for people who can cow others with a single growl. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What? Had a dry spell of killing people lately? (Susan)
As a matter of fact, yes. If it doesn’t end soon, I might get out of practice. (Otto)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Looks like I’m going to ruin your day, Big Boy. I choose to live my crappy life a little longer. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“In essence, we’re their servants who help them and who guard them from the public. (Leo)
Oh gee, golly, goodie, Mr. Leo! Can I have my eyes gouged out, too? (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Please nothing, she’s a vicious piranha. She looks all cute and cuddly, then she opens that mouth and lets loose so much venom she could double as a nest of scorpions. (Leo)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“These are used solely for Blood Rites. (Leo)
Is that like special ed? (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I’m assuming those are Daimons. (Susan)
No, they’re Avon ladies. (Ravyn)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What galls you most, old man? The fact that I betrayed you, or the fact that I had the balls to set it right when you didn’t? (Ravyn)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know when people say fine, it generally means ‘leave me the hell alone because I don’t want to talk about what’s really bothering me.' (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yes, and for the record, he thinks you’re insane, too. (Otto)
Oh, goodie. But I guess that’s only fair since I think he’s psychotic. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Fuck you, human. (Phoenix)
Wow, boys and girls, they’re just so inviting, aren’t they. Martha Stewart would be proud. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Kitten, when did you get so tall? (Ravyn)
I grew while you were in the bathroom. (Erika)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I know it’s a bit nosy– (Susan)
A reporter being nosy? Damn, there’s something you never see. (Ravyn)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Were-Hunters are different from humans. (Ravyn)
You mean other than the fact that you live for several hundred years, can turn into animals, time travel, and wave your hand to make freaky stuff happen? (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“And they choose our mates. (Ravyn)
So what do they do? Jump here on earth, tap you on the shoulder, and say, ‘Hey, bub, marry her’? (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Oh, baby, don’t ask me that question. I know exactly who and what I am…and more to the point, what I’m capable of. How dare you bring your prissy little ass into one of my clubs and pull this shit. You’re lucky you’re still breathing. (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I know everything about everything and before I dry off completely, which is something I truly hate, you better go outside, collect Trates, and have both your asses out of here or I’m going to lose what little patience I have. You will play by the rules I’ve set up for sanctuary, or I’ll use your entrails for armbands. (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yes, you do. And when you find yourself back in Kalosis in a few seconds with a wide-eyes Trates and a pissed-off Stryker, remember that I’m watching you and that the Weres are off-limits in this game. You want to fuck with Artemis, fuck with Artemis. You want to fuck with me…make out your will. (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“No offense, Dorian. Oh, what the hell, take all the offense you want, it’s not like I give a shit. (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Don’t worry. I won’t send you off without warning. Just stand there and be awed by my beauty. It’s the safest mode around me. (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It actually dawned on me that I don’t fight. I just kill whatever annoys me, and it’s over. (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Is the life you seek to take worth the one you could one day create? (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Remember, Nick, there are only two people in the universe I care for…and you’re not one of them. (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Double-knotted to a bedpost, not that it’s any of your business. That boy was always too trusting for his own good. You’d think by now he’d know better. But no. He’s got to be stupid. Personally, I’d tie the bitch up, muzzle her, and ride her around the room with spurs on, but no one ever asks my opinion, do they? No. What do I know? I’m only omniscient. (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“When a cow lives with the butcher, sooner or later he gets eaten unless he helps the other cows off to their slaughter. (Nick)”

“I hate you! (Artemis)
Don’t keep saying that, Artie. It’s cruel to get my hopes up. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Ever notice most people are major pains in the ass? I’d rather save myself the trouble of dealing with them and just avoid being around them to begin with. (Ravyn)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Now you know I’m a reporter, so you might as well answer my question truthfully, or I’ll just keep asking it until you lose your mind. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Honestly? I don’t want people around me for two reasons – they ultimately betray you or they die on you. Either way, you’re screwed and you spend all your time obsessing on why you didn’t see it coming. Or that you did something or didn’t do something to cause it. No offense, but I don’t like to be hurt and I’d rather just avoid it.(Ravyn)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“And if I don’t want you to? (Ravyn)
You know, you’d look really weird in a dress and high heels. (Susan)
What’s that supposed to mean? (Ravyn)
It means you’re not my mother. Now stop arguing and help me find my shoes. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know the legend. Stab them in the heart and they’ll die. (Ravyn)
Call me Buffy. I’m even blond, but don’t ask me to wear a halter top. Or corset. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“For a woman who can handle herself so well in a fight, I can’t believe you got taken out by a defenseless doorjamb. (Ravyn)
Given the size of my goose egg, I would argue the defenseless part. That doorjamb has a mean left hook.(Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I can’t believe I’m mated to someone who’s allergic to me. (Ravyn)
You? I’m the one who should be having a hissy. How do I introduce you to people? Hi, this is my…what? Significant other? Mate? Pet? (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Why must every relationship I have be so damned impossible? (Ravyn)
Hey now, defeatist talk from a catman like you? I’m the one who should be freaking out here. I mean, damn, you could give me fleas or something. (Susan)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Greetings, O Great Gazoo. How nice of you to join us here on planet Earth again. (Cael)
Thanks, Barney. How’s Betty and Bam Bam doing? (Acheron)
Great, if I could only get them away from Wilma and Pebbles. Those women are nothing but trouble. (Cael)
Nah, they’re good women. It’s the ones in red who are always the downfall of good men. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“No one should have to pay for love in flesh or blood. (Acheron)”

“Hi there, cutie."
Ash turned his head to find an extremely attractive college student by his side. With black curly hair, she was dressed in jeans and a tight green top that displayed her curves to perfection. "Hi."
"You want to go inside for a drink? It's on me."
Ash paused as he saw her past, present, and future simultaneously in his mind. Her name was Tracy Phillips. A political science major, she was going to end up at Harvard Med School and then be one of the leading researchers to help isolate a mutated genome that the human race didn't even know existed yet.
The discovery of that genome would save the life of her youngest daughter and cause her daughter to go on to medical school herself. That daughter, with the help and guidance of her mother, would one day lobby for medical reforms that would change the way the medical world and governments treated health care. The two of them would shape generations of doctors and save thousands of lives by allowing people to have groundbreaking medical treatments that they wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford.
And right now, all Tracy could think about was how cute his ass was in leather pants, and how much she'd like to peel them off him.
In a few seconds, she'd head into the coffee shop and meet a waitress named Gina Torres. Gina's dream was to go to college herself to be a doctor and save the lives of the working poor who couldn't afford health care, but because of family problems she wasn't able to take classes this year. Still Gina would tell Tracy how she planned to go next year on a scholarship.
Late tonight, after most of the college students were headed off, the two of them would be chatting about Gina's plans and dreams.
And a month from now, Gina would be dead from a freak car accident that Tracy would see on the news. That one tragic event combined with the happenstance meeting tonight would lead Tracy to her destiny. In one instant, she'd realize how shallow her life had been, and she'd seek to change that and be more aware of the people around her and of their needs. Her youngest daughter would be named Gina Tory in honor of the Gina who was currently busy wiping down tables while she imagined a better life for everyone.
So in effect, Gina would achieve her dream. By dying she'd save thousands of lives and she'd bring health care to those who couldn't afford it...
The human race was an amazing thing. So few people ever realized just how many lives they inadvertently touched. How the right or wrong word spoken casually could empower or destroy another's life.
If Ash were to accept Tracy's invitation for coffee, her destiny would be changed and she would end up working as a well-paid bank officer. She'd decide that marriage wasn't for her and go on to live her life with a partner and never have children.
Everything would change. All the lives that would have been saved would be lost.
And knowing the nuance of every word spoken and every gesture made was the heaviest of all the burdens Ash carried.
Smiling gently, he shook his head. "Thanks for asking, but I have to head off. You have a good night."
She gave him a hot once-over. "Okay, but if you change your mind, I'll be in here studying for the next few hours."
Ash watched as she left him and entered the shop. She set her backpack down at a table and started unpacking her books. Sighing from exhaustion, Gina grabbed a glass of water and made her way over to her...
And as he observed them through the painted glass, the two women struck up a conversation and set their destined futures into motion.
His heart heavy, he glanced in the direction Cael had vanished and hated the future that awaited his friend. But it was Cael's destiny.
His fate...
"Imora thea mi savur," Ash whispered under his breath in Atlantean. God save me from love.”

01/28/2009 page 20
5.67% "Currently doing my yearly reread of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series."
01/29/2009 page 271
76.77% "Currently doing my yearly reread of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series."
04/04/2010 page 44
12.46% "(Yearly series reread) Ravyn is such a compelling hero! Susan is just hilarious! And they're adorable as a couple!"
04/06/2010 page 80
22.66% "(Yearly series reread) Ravyn is so badass...I mean, really!"
show 1 hidden update…