Jacqueline's Reviews > Dance with the Devil

Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Nov 30, 14

bookshelves: author-sherrilyn-kenyon, series-dark-hunter, classified-series, genre-romance-paranormal, trope-angst-ridden, trope-at-odds-couple, trope-big-misunderstanding, trope-challange-bet-or-deal, trope-enemies-to-lovers, trope-fairy-tale-beauty-beast, trope-forbidden-love, trope-hero-across-the-tracks, trope-hero-alpha, trope-hero-antihero, trope-hero-deformity-scars-disabled, trope-hero-ethnic-flavor, trope-hero-ethnic-geek-roman, trope-hero-fallen, trope-hero-feels-inferior, trope-hero-illegitimate, trope-hero-introverted, trope-hero-job-bodyguard, trope-hero-job-self-made, trope-hero-job-warrior, trope-hero-knight-in-shining-armor, trope-hero-misfit, trope-hero-recluse, trope-hero-rogue-or-rake-fake, trope-hero-scorned, trope-hero-smitten-with-heroine, trope-hero-tortured, trope-hero-virgin-or-virginesque, trope-heroine-alpha, trope-heroine-blind-vision-impaied, trope-heroine-extroverted, trope-heroine-hoyden-or-spirited, trope-heroine-in-deception, trope-heroine-in-disguise, trope-heroine-in-pursuit, trope-heroine-job-judge, trope-heroine-tortured, trope-hilarity-within, trope-in-deception, trope-jealousy-runs-amok, trope-lessons-in-love, trope-mistaken-or-hidden-identity, trope-mystery-within, trope-not-your-usual-conflict, trope-nursed-back-to-health, trope-opposites-attract, trope-perfect-banter, trope-pnr-adventure, trope-pnr-dark-and-dark-forces, trope-pnr-gods-goddesses, trope-pnr-good-v-evil, trope-pnr-hero-cursed, trope-pnr-hero-begifted, trope-pnr-hero-guardian-warrior, trope-pnr-hero-human, trope-pnr-hero-nonhuman, trope-pnr-hero-psychic, trope-pnr-hero-vampire, trope-pnr-hero-warlock, trope-pnr-heroine-saves-the-day, trope-pnr-human-other-pairing, trope-pnr-nonhumans, trope-pnr-shifters, trope-pnr-vampires, trope-rags-to-riches-vice-versa, trope-revenge-plot, trope-shhh-its-a-secret, trope-siblings-or-family-within, trope-star-crossed-love, classified-five-stars
Recommended to Jacqueline by: A kind saleswoman in Books-a-Million my freshman year.
Recommended for: Anyone who loves badass, yet tender, characters and a complex yet seamless paranormal world
Read from October 28 to 30, 2013, read count: Six times now

Read: October 28th, 2013 - October 30th, 2013
Read: July 20th – 24th 2010
Read: January 19th, 2009
Read: November 27th, 2008
Read: March 2007
Read: February 2005

You know that moment when you fall in love with an author, and every fricking book they write is your favorite? Well, applicable sentence is applicable, and while not entirely logical, it's all kinds of true for Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dance With The Devil. Oh, and that GIF up there? It's more than applicable; it's downright gospel. This novel is one hell of an epic-fun roller coaster that will figuratively rip out your heart, smile, and hand it back to you gift-wrapped with a cookie. Basically, it's one of the best books ever, and screw anyone that says otherwise!

Okay, you're right; it was. But, truly, the book is wonderful for a multitude of awesome-sauce reasons, not the first of which is how damned amazing the on-page emotion is, truly! This writing is fan-damn-tastic because it sucks you into the world, and the character. Yes, yes, this is par-for-the-epic-course with all Sherri's Dark-Hunter books, I know, but what makes Dance With The Devil so specifically full of win is how well Sherrilyn constructs Zarek. If Kyrian was the sassy devil-may-care, and Talon was the soulful poet, Zarek is the dude that rips your face off rather than shake your hand.

Yep! He's a bad-boy, but what's even better is that he's a bad boy with agency. Of all the Dark-Hunter boys up until this point in DH kick-ass universe, he's the one with the most tortured back-story. Unquestionably part of what makes this book such a joy ride is how fun, interesting, lovable, hilarious, and broken Zarek's character is, no doubt. Your heart breaks for him all while you understand him, which simply makes you love him even more.

Equally likable, though admittedly not to the same degree, is Astrid. She is her own person, no question, and she is believable, but what drives her as a character stems more from the plot than any grand characterization. It's interestingly shocking as hell to learn that Sherrilyn Kenyon wrote Dance With The Devil in two weeks. How easily this story came to her is evident by how well the writing paces itself. Granted, the plot is far more emotionally driven than by any external conflict, it reads all the better for it. The external forces affecting the reading do aid the novel, what with the "bad-guy-out-to-get-our-characters," but even that plot point comes with emotional agency, and is hella believable. Basically, it's...

(Heehee.) What's most interesting to me, though, is that Dance With The Devil works so excellently, both as an independent stand-alone, and as world building to the Dark-Hunter universe. Yes, while every DH book can be read out of order (another reason I love The Author Goddess so damn much) I find it interesting how well this book plays both roles. A person can jump right into this book with both feet, having never read a Kenyon novel before, and fall just as much in love with it and Zarek as a long-time fan.

In the context of the series, while admittedly lacking some of the larger cast that previous DH books have up until this point, the reader does learn So-Oh-My-God-Hella much more about the inter-workings of some of the major players in this universe. Lastly, I do love that, having read the entire Dark-Hunter series many times over, rereading Dance With The Devil is especially fun because not only is it here that we officially meet Simi for the first time (holy-crap-balls, I heart that demon with all of my organ!), but it's also where a lot of reader-understanding comes into play. After reading Acheron's novel (published five years after this book), knowing his backstory as I do it makes Ash's and Zarek's exchanges so much more significant and emotionally moving!

Basically, my long-ass point? Read this book! It needs you, you need it, it's basically the perfect relationship in one package. You go through happy-hell reading this emotional piece of awesomeness, but it pays off because at the end of the day the following GIF is every bit of your face.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance with the Devil.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Even if I were lying on the sun itself, I would be freezing there without you. (Zarek)”
tags: dh

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“There were only so many kicks a dog could take before it turned vicious.’ (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Oh, goodie! I get to make the redheaded goddess mad! (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“He won’t last long, akri. Thanatos is barbecue. And I like my barbecue. Just tell me how you want him, akri, normal recipe or extra crispy. I’m partial to extra crispy myself. They crunch louder when deep-fried. Reminds me, I need some bread crumbs. (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Ooo, let’s see, I need to get my spicy barbecue sauce. Definitely some oven mitts, ‘cause he’s gonna be hot from being flame-broiled. I need to get a couple of them apple trees to make wood chips so the meat be nice and appley tasting. Give it that extra yumminess, ‘cause I don’t like that Daimon flavor. Ack! (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It can’t eat him. I forbid it. (Artemis)
She can do as she pleases. I taught her to waste not, want not. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“The Simi is very environmentally sound. Eat everything except for hooves. I don’t like those, they hurt my teeth. Thanatos don’t have hooves, do he? (Simi)
No, Simi, he doesn’t. (Acheron)
Ooo, good eating tonight. I get a Daimon for barbecue. Can I go now, akri? Can I? Can I? Can I, please? (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It’s entirely up to you, Artie. He lives or dies by your word. (Acheron)
No, akri! Don’t ask her that. She never let me have no fun. She a mean goddess! (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Simi. Return to me. (Acheron)
'Return to me, Simi.’ Don’t go frying the goddess. Don’t go frying Thanatos. I am not a yo-yo, akri. I am a Simi. I hate it when you get me all excited about going to kill something and then tell me no. I don’t like that. It boring. You don’t ever let me have any fun anymore. (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“One day I’m going to find a way to rid you of that beast resting on your arm. (Artemis)
(He looked at her over his shoulder.)
And one day I’m going to find a way to rid myself of the beast resting on my back. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I won’t die like this again. (Zarek)
Backbone. How I love it. But not as much as I love sucking the marrow from it. (Thanatos)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I am Death and no one defeats or escapes Death. (Thanatos)
You know, I’ll bet most people shit their pants in terror when you hand them that line. But you know what, Mr. I-want-to-be-scary-and-am-failing-miserably? I’m not a person. I’m a Dark-Hunter and in the grand scheme of things you don’t mean shit to me. Now I can sit here and play with you, but I'd rather just put you out of both our miseries. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Are you up? Dressing? (Astrid)
No. I’m pissing on your rug. What do you think I’m doing? (Zarek)
I’m blind. For all I know you really are peeing on my rug, which is a very nice rug incidentally, so I hope you’re kidding. (Astrid)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It wasn’t a gun wound. I just fell. (Zarek)
No offense, but you’d have to fall of Mount Everest to have those kinds of wounds. (Astrid)
Yeah, maybe next time I’ll remember to take my climbing gear with me. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“So what really happened to you? (Astrid)
Nothing. (Zarek)
Well, I hope I never come across Nothing then if it’s capable of putting a hole in my back. (Astrid)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“And you, Kibbles, had better lay off me. One more growl and I swear I’m going to geld you with a spoon. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Wake up, Astrid. Your psychotic criminal is playing with knives. (Sasha)”

“Zarek? (Astrid)
What?! (Zarek)
Don’t use that tone with me. I like to know where people are in my house. Be nice, or I’ll make you wear a cowbell. (Astrid)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Don’t push me, princess. (Zarek)
Oooo. Next thing you’ll be talking like the Incredible Hulk. ‘Don’t make me angry, you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.’ You’re not scary to me, Mr. Zarek. So you can just check the attitude at the door and play nice while you’re here. (Astrid)
If you want nice, baby, play with your fucking dog. When you’re ready to play with a man, then call me. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You could have said ‘Excuse me.’ (Zarek)
I’m not talking to you. (Astrid)
Love you, too, babe. (Zarek)
You really are an animal, aren’t you? (Astrid)
Woof, woof. (Zarek)”

“Here. (Zarek)
What is it? (Astrid)
Arsenic and vomit. (Zarek)
Really? And yet you managed to hack that up so quietly. Who knew? Thanks. I’ve never had vomit before. I’m sure it’s extra special. (Astrid)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“And I don’t want his body touching something I wear. He’ll contaminate it. (Sasha)
Oh, good grief, Sasha. Grow up. You’re four hundred years old and you’re acting like a whelp. It’s not like he has cooties or anything. (Astrid)
Yes he does! (Sasha)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“My friend died. (Astrid)
Died how? (Zarek)
Mmm, he had parvo. (Astrid)
Isn’t that a dog’s disease? (Zarek)
Yes. It was tragic. (Astrid)
Hey! I resent that. (Sasha)
Behave or I will give you parvo. (Astrid)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You don’t like people who have money, do you? (Astrid)
I’m not prejudiced against anyone, princess. I hate everyone equally. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Then why haven’t you killed yourself? (Astrid)
Why should I? The only enjoyment I have in my life is knowing I piss off everyone around me. If I were dead, it would make them all happy. God forbid I should ever do that. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“We all have choices. (Astrid)
No we don’t, princess. Only people with money and influence have choices. For the rest of us, basic necessity dictates what we have to do to survive. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I swear, Z. I was hoping you’d use this time here to show Artemis that you can mingle with people again. (Acheron)
Sure you were. Why don’t you cover me in shit and tell me it’s mud while you’re at it? (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I just want to be warm. Just once let me be warm. Is there no star capable of sharing its fire with me? (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I have found my star. She is beauty and grace. Elegance and goodness. My laughter in winter. She is courageous and strong. Bold and tempting. Unlike any other in all the universe, and I cannot touch her. I dare not even try. Astrid or Aphrodite, she is my Circe. Only instead of changing a man into an animal she has made the animal human. I am such a fucking idiot, wanting a star I can’t have. But then, all stars are beyond human reach and I’m not even human. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Princess, you could never be that. You are unique to me. (Zarek)
Am I your rose? (Astrid)
Yes, you are my rose. There is only one of you in all the millions of planets and stars. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You planning on getting in our way again when we take him down? (Justin)
Boy, you better take that tone and flush it. I’m not a Squire you’re talking to; I happen to be one of the guys you answer to. It ain’t none of your damned business why I’m going. You just don’t move until I tell you to or I’m going to show you how I once made Wyatt Earp piss his drawers. (Jess)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Would like to join me? (Astrid)
I think I’d look strange in a bikini. (Zarek)
Was that a joke? Can it be you made a real joke? (Astrid)
Yeah, I must be possessed or something. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Why are you so sad, akri? (Simi)
I’m not sad, Simi. (Acheron)
Yes you are. I know you, akri, you gots that pain in your heart like the Simi gets whenever she cries. (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“So, can I eat the redheaded goddess now? (Simi)
No, Simi. (Acheron)
I want to eat her, akri, She a mean person. (Simi)
Most gods are. (Acheron)
No they’re not. Some, true, but I rather like the Atlanteans. They were very nice. Most of them. You never met Archon, did you? (Simi)
No. (Acheron)
Now, he could be mean. He was blond, like you, tall like you, well, taller than you, and good-looking like you, but not quite as good-looking as you. I don’t think anyone is as good-looking as you are. Not even them gods. You are definitely one of a kind when it comes to looks…Oh. Well, you’re not really one of a kind, are you? But you cuter than that other one. He a bad copy of you. He only wishes he was as cute as you are. Now where was I going with that? Oh, I remember now. Archon didn’t like a lot of people, unlike you. You know that thing you do whenever you get really, really mad? The one where you can blow stuff up and make it all fiery and chunky and messy and all? He could do that too only not with as much finesse as you. You got a lot of finesse, akri. More than most. But I digress, Archon liked me. He said, ‘Simi, you a quality demon.’ Have you ever seen a non-quality demon, though? That’s what I wanna know. (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I don’t have to do nothing you say, you old heifer cow. And you are old. Really, really old. And a cow, too. (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You should have told them about him. (Artemis)
Told them what, Artemis? Behave or the bitch-goddess will unleash her insane killer on you? (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You better, Artemis. Because if you don’t get him under control, the world is going to become the very thing that makes you wake up screaming at night. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Tell me of a happy memory, Zarek. One thing in your life that was good. (Astrid)
You. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Well, Lord Debonair and Lady Lethal, if we can have a minute of your time, we do have a psycho to hunt. (Allen)
(Jess glared over his shoulder at Allen, but before he could comment, Syra shot another bolt from her crossbow. Allen went flying and landed flat on his back in the snow. Syra walked over to him and stared down.)
I don’t particularly like Squires and I really hate the Blood Rites. So save yourself some pain and don’t speak to me again. (Syra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“We’ve come to kill Zarek of Moesia, and if you get in our way, little girl, we’re going to kill you. (Otto)
I’ll be damned. He speaks. Or rather growls. (Jess)
But not for long if he doesn’t watch his mouth. For the record, Squire, it would take more man than you to even scratch me. (Syra)
I live for a woman who scratches. Just make sure you keep it on the back, baby. I don’t like scars. (Otto)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I really hate Squires. (Syra)
(She pulled another flat bolt out and loaded it, then shot it at Otto. Moving so fast he could hardly be seen, the Squire turned around and caught it without flinching. He held the bolt up to his nose and inhaled it lovingly.)
Mmm. Rose. My favorite. (Otto)
Perhaps we should leave you two alone. (Jess)
Yeah, this does remind me a bit of the mating rites of the mean and the surly. (Allen)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Ah, those were the days…The Dark-Hunters hunted us, we slaughtered them. We made our homes in underground catacombs and crypts where the Hunters couldn’t go without getting possessed. It was an interesting time to be Apollite or Daimon. But that was before we discovered civilization and modern conveniences. Before the human world developed enough to where we could exist at night under the pretense of being one of them. Apollites owning businesses and houses. Daimons playing Nintendo. What is this world coming to? (Thanatos)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Calm down? You shot me in the back, you son of a bitch. (Zarek)
Boy, don’t you dare insult my mama, and you better stop and think about that one for a minute. I was a paid killer since I was old enough to hold a gun. Had I shot your dumb ass, you wouldn’t have a head right now. Having been shot in the back by a friend, I sure wouldn’t want to return that favor to anyone. Not even an ornery cuss like you. And why the hell would I hurt myself just to get to you anyway? Lord, boy, use your head. (Jess)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Then who shot me? (Zarek)
One of them idiot Squires. Hell if I know which one. They all kind of look alike when they’re not yours. (Jess)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me they stick you out here where there are no Daimons and you don’t have a weak spot? What kind of shit is that? I live in Daimon Central with one hell of an Achilles’ heel that no one ever bothered to mention, and you live where there’s no danger to you and yet you don’t have one? What’s not fair with this picture? And then Ash asks me to come up here to save your ass and here we are dropping like flies while you’re Teflon. No, I have a problem with this. I love you, man, but dayam. This just ain’t right. I’m up here freezing my balls off, and you, you don’t need protection. Meanwhile I have a bull’s-eye on my arm that says, ‘Hey, Daimon on steroids, kill me right here.’ Do you realize, I put my keys in my mouth to pull out my wallet to pay for gas and they froze there? The last thing I want to do is die up here in this godforsaken place at the hands of some freaked-out something no one has ever heard of before except for Guido the Killer Squire from Jersey? I swear I want someone’s ass for this. (Jess)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Alone at last. Oh, the pleasure of the pain. (Zarek)
You really do suffer from insanity, don’t you? (Thanatos)
Hardly. I have to say I enjoy every minute of it. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What’s going on? (Astrid)
Not much. Some invincible asshole is trying to kill me. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What the matter, Zarek? You afraid to die? (Thanatos)
Dying’s easy. It’s living that’s hard. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Dead or alive, the balls still hurt when kicked, huh? (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“(Zarek slammed his combined fists down across Thanatos’s back.)
If anyone has any suggestions on how to kill this guy, I’m open to it. (Zarek)
I’m out of dynamite. You got any grenades? (Jess)
Not on me. (Zarek)
Say die, Dark-Hunter. (Thanatos)
Fine. Die, why don’t you? (Zarek)”

01/19/2009 page 301
81.79% "Currently doing my yearly reread of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter seires"
10/28/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/28/2013 page 118
32.0% "I fan-girl so hard over this book that I broke my inner fan-girl."
10/29/2013 page 199
54.0% "

Hmm-mmm. This book ages so, so well. A decade later, and I'm still in love with the writing."
11/01/2013 marked as: read