Jacqueline's Reviews > Kiss of the Night

Kiss of the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Nov 30, 14

bookshelves: author-sherrilyn-kenyon, series-dark-hunter, classified-series, genre-romance-paranormal, trope-angst-ridden, trope-at-odds-couple, trope-enemies-to-lovers, trope-fairy-tale-beauty-beast, trope-forbidden-love, trope-hero-across-the-tracks, trope-hero-alpha, trope-hero-deformity-scars-disabled, trope-hero-ethnic-flavor, trope-hero-ethnic-viking, trope-hero-job-bodyguard, trope-hero-job-warrior, trope-hero-knight-in-shining-armor, trope-hero-misfit, trope-hero-scorned, trope-hero-smitten-with-heroine, trope-hero-tortured, trope-heroine-alpha, trope-heroine-ethnic-american, trope-heroine-ethnic-flavor, trope-heroine-extroverted, trope-heroine-hoyden-or-spirited, trope-heroine-in-deception, trope-heroine-in-disguise, trope-heroine-misfit, trope-heroine-on-the-run, trope-heroine-tomboy, trope-heroine-tortured, trope-hilarity-within, trope-in-deception, trope-lost-heir, trope-mistaken-or-hidden-identity, trope-mystery-within, trope-not-your-usual-conflict, trope-opposites-attract, trope-perfect-banter, trope-pnr-adventure, trope-pnr-dark-and-dark-forces, trope-pnr-demons, trope-pnr-fated-to-be-mated, trope-pnr-gods-goddesses, trope-pnr-good-v-evil, trope-pnr-hero-begifted, trope-pnr-hero-cursed, trope-pnr-hero-demon, trope-pnr-hero-guardian-warrior, trope-pnr-hero-nonhuman, trope-pnr-hero-human, trope-pnr-hero-vampire, trope-pnr-heroine-cursed, trope-pnr-heroine-human-transformed, trope-pnr-heroine-psychic, trope-pnr-nonhumans, trope-pnr-vampires, trope-pnr-shifters, trope-revenge-plot, trope-secret-baby, trope-shhh-its-a-secret, trope-siblings-or-family-within, trope-star-crossed-love, classified-five-stars
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; but the series was recommended to my by a kind Books-A-M
Recommended for: Anyone who loves a blurred line of good and evil within a fictional work.
Read from December 24, 2013 to January 01, 2014, read count: Six times, now

Read: December 13, 2013 – January 1, 2014
Read: July 22, 2010 – August 2, 2010
Read: February 2009
Read: November 2008
Read: April 2007
Read: February 2005

Once again, not only is accurate meme accurate, but Lady Grantham is all of the correct when it comes to this Dark-Hunter series book, Kiss Of The Night. I mean, let's establish that I like this story, because duh, for of course there's my obvious rating. But, be that as it so apparently may, said novel definitely comes with a few...umm...well.

Yeah. Issues. That's the word; this book be havin' some issues. Let's start off with the So Not A Bad one, which is of COURSE the characters. In a word, they're...wnjoyable. Wulf and Cassandra are likably adorable, relatable and fleshed out as realistic people. Are they necessarily yours, mine, or our particular favorite DH peeps? Um, no; hell no. This is predominately because, while they are indeed their own brand of kick-ass, they lack the ressonation that previous characters like Zarek, Katra, or Sunshine bring to the page. Why is this? Well the answer is simple...

Getting real with you for a hot minute, in my not so humble opinion let me stress this novel's absolute strongest element, which is the action and conflict plotting. Ostensibly this book is one hell of an epic thrill ride, with mountains peaking at "Oh my God, what's going to happen NEXT?!" and plateaus bottoming with, "Dude, no WAY!" Like Hitler's mustache, Kiss of the Night will cliche-ly keep you on the edge of your seat salivating over dramatic fight scenes, complex story point arcs, a dynamically interwoven cast of characters, unexpected allies, and unique resolutions.

SO MUCH CRAZY AWESOME-SAUCE, INDEED! But, while that's amaze-balls to the extreme, this fast paced action adventure does come at a cost, that being the limited page space for the romantic and emotional relationship building between Wulf and Cassandra. In that regard, there's not a lot of on-scene preliminary and post love evolution that exists in this book. Though admittedly, without spoiling it, this factoid does make sense when considering one of the HUGE OH-HOLY-SHIT-CAKES plot points that arise early in the book. Still, while the lack of a fleshed out romantic story is obvious, and does tend to put a damper on the Wulf/Cassandra "thing," one must know, to the fullest possible extent of knowledge that if Kiss Of The Night could speak to us, it would have just one message, which would be, quiet simply, "...

..." Truth! So, yes, the emotional story building does seem a bit rushed, and the two lead characters admittedly don't feel as though they're given much developmental scenes before their personal journeys culminate and resolve. All of the aforementioned issues are problematic, but for the few knocks this book has against it, the writing and story plotting are more than worth it. While this installment of Sherri's series might be my least favorite from the lovey-dovey standpoint, (a technical term, I know) the story honestly contains one of my favorite plots in the entire Dark-Hunter universe, which is saying an ass-ton. So, want me to shut up and summarize all this shiz? Sure!

Tom Hiddles approves this book, WHY DON'T YOU, DAMMIT?!

(*Shyly raises my "I'm A Pushy Fan-Girl And I Regret Nothing" flag.*
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Night.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Life is a tapestry woven by the decisions we make.”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Atlantis: Fabled. Mystical. Golden. Mysterious. Glorious and magical. There are those who claim that it never was. But then there are also those who think they are safe in this modern world of technology and weapons. Safe from all the ancient evils. They even believe that wizards, warriors, and dragons are long dead. They are fools clinging to their science and logic while thinking it will save them. (Thrylos)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Now would be a good time to tell me you have your sais with you, Kat. (Cassandra)
Nada. You got your kamas on you? (Kat)
Yeah. I tucked them into my bra before I left home. (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Out of my way, Dark-Hunter, or I’ll kill her. (Daimon)
You know, you should have stayed in your bolt-hole one more day. Tonight’s Buffy night, and it’s a whole new episode, too. Have you any idea how angry it makes me that I have to come out here in the freezing cold to slay you when I could be at home all toasty warm, watching Sarah Michelle Gellar kick ass in a halter top? (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What are you, a baby? Jeez, if you’re going to kill humans, the least you could do is learn to die with some dignity. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Come on, where did you learn to fight? Miss Manners’ School for Girls? My baby sister could hit harder than you when she was three years old. Damn, if you’re going to turn Daimon, the least you could do is take a few fighting lessons so you can make my boring job more interesting. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Have you no honor? No decency? No damn brains? You don’t kill me with bullets. You just piss me off. And you just ruined my friggin’ favorite coat. For that, you die. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Didn’t your mother ever tell you the only way to kill us is to cut us into pieces? You should have brought a wood chipper instead of a gun. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“He would remember their kiss forever. She wouldn’t recall him at all.’ (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Boy, you better check that tone. (Wulf)
Yeah, yeah, ya scare me. I’m even wetting my pants while in your terrifying, gut-wrenching presence. See me shiver and quiver? Ooo, ahhh, ooo. (Chris)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It’s a sun lamp. I thought you might be tired of your pasty-pale complexion. (Chris)
Christopher, I happen to be a Viking in the middle of winter in Minnesota. Lack of a deep tan goes with the whole Nordic territory. Why do you think we raided Europe anyway? (Wulf)
Because it was there? (Chris)
No, we wanted to thaw out. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“She thinks I’m a drug dealer. (Chris)
‘The most “illegal” thing the boy had ever done was to walk past a Salvation Army Santa Claus, once, without dropping money into the kettle.’ (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“So sell the Hummer, buy a Dodge, and move into a trailer. (Wulf)
Oh, yeah, right. Remember when I traded the Hummer for an Alpha Romeo last year? You burned the car and bought me a new Hummer and threatened to lock me in my room with a hooker if I ever did it again. And as for the perks…Have you bothered to look around this place? We have a heated indoor pool, a theater with surround sound, two cooks, three maids, and a pool guy I get to boss around, not to mention all kinds of other fun toys. I’m not about to leave Disneyland. It’s the only good part in this arrangement. I mean, hell, if my life has to suck there’s no way I’m going to live in the Mini-Winni. Which knowing you, you’d make me park out front anyway with armed guards standing watch in case I get a hangnail. (Chris)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I swear, Kat, you drive like you’re playing a video game. (Cassandra)
Yeah, yeah. Wanna see the ray gun I have under the hood to zap them if they don’t get out of my way? (Katra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I need some Starbucks. What about you? (Cassandra)
Always game for java. Give me ground-up beans or give me death. (Katra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It was great, wasn’t it? Really exciting stuff. (Chris)
Like having my teeth drilled without Novocain. (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It was a typical day of suckage and blowage.’ (Chris)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You’re a wondering soul, looking for a peace that doesn’t exist. Lost you will be until you find the one inner truth. We can never hide from what we are. The only hope is to embrace it.’ (Old Seer)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It was one of the few places where someone remembered his name. Yeah, okay, so he felt like Sam Malone on Cheers, but there was no Norm or Cliff sitting at the bar here. More like Spike and Switchblade.’ (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yeah, well, don’t worry about it. I’ve never met a Daimon yet I couldn’t take. (Wulf)
Guess again, little brother. You just met one, and trust me, he’s not like any you’ve ever met before. He makes Desiderius look like a pet hamster. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“If she’s so important, why aren’t you here guarding her? (Wulf)
Mostly because this ain’t Buffy and there’s not one single Hellmouth to guard. I’m up to my armpits in Armageddon down here in New Orleans and not even I can physically be in two places at once. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Have you ever noticed that salvation, much like your car keys, is usually found where and when you least expect it? (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“We’re so screwed. (Cassandra)
Yeah, well, I don’t let anyone screw me until they kiss me, and since there’s not even a snowball’s chance in hell of me kissing that bastard, we’re not screwed. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know the beauty of driving one of these? (Wulf)
No. (Cassandra)
You can swat a Daimon like a mosquito. (Wulf)
Well, since they’re both bloodsucking insects, I say go for it. (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I just love to put a hurt on evil things. (Katra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You mean you don’t know? (Wulf)
No. In fact, I’m thinking right now that one, if not both of us, needs to put down the crack pipe and start this night over. (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I think I snapped a wheel at some point tonight. Or at the very least stepped over into the realm of Rod Serling’s Twilight Zone. (Cassandra)
How do you mean? (Wulf)
Well, let’s see…It’s only eleven o’clock and tonight I have gone to a club that seems to be owned by shape-shifting panthers, where a group of vampire hit men and one possible god attacked me. Went home only to be attacked again by said hit men, god, and then a dragon. Had a Dark-Hunter save me. My bodyguard my or may not be in the service of a goddess and now I just met a sleep spirit. Hell of a day, huh? (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“No, no, no. This ain’t right. I finally find a woman who’ll actually let me into her place and you bring her home for you? Oh, please tell me you brought her home for you and not for me. You didn’t pimp me out again, Wulf, did you? I swear I’ll stake you in your sleep if you did. (Chris)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Then why can’t I bully you into procreating? (Wulf)
See! I’m the only human in history to have Viking yenta of his very own. God, how I wish my father had been a fertile man. (Chris)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I’m protecting her. (Wulf)
From? (Chris)
Daimons. (Wulf)
Big bad ones. (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“So you guys fought some Daimons, huh? Wish I could. Wulf goes nuts if I even pick up a butter knife. (Chris)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“They had to die. They were killing innocent people. (Wulf)
They were surviving, Wulf. You never had to face the choice of being dead at twenty-seven. When most people’s lives are just beginning, we are looking at a death sentence. Have you any idea what it’s like to know you can never see your children grow up? Never see your own grandchildren? My mother used to say we were spring flowers who are only meant to bloom for one season. We bring our gifts to the world and then recede to dust so that others can come after us. When our loved ones die, we immortalize them like this. I have one for my mother and the other four are my sisters. No one will ever know the beauty of my sisters’ laughter. No one will remember the kindness of my mother’s smile. In eight months, my father won’t even have enough of me left to bury. I will become scattered dust. And for what? For something my great-great-great-whatever did? I’ve been alone the whole of my life because I dare not let anyone know me. I don’t want to love for fear of leaving someone like my father behind to mourn me. I will be a vague dream, and yet here you are, Wulf Tryggvason. Viking cur who once roamed the earth raiding villages. How many people did you kill in your human lifetime while you sought treasure and fame? Were you any better than the Daimons who kill so that they can live? What makes you better than us? (Cassandra)
It’s not the same thing. (Wulf)
Isn’t it? You know, I went to your Web site and saw the names listed there. Kyrian of Thrace, Julian of Macedon, Valerius Magnus, Jamie Gallagher, William Jess Brady. I’ve studied history all my life and know each of those names and the terror they wrought in their day. Why is it okay for the Dark-Hunters to have immortality even though most of you were killers as humans, while we are damned at birth for things we never did? Where is the justice in this? (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yeah. I don’t need much, and whatever else I need I’m sure I can buy since the Council knows that I am the charmed one who has to be humored lest the big bad Norseman go a Viking on their heads. (Chris)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Good grief. You two look like Village of the Sofa Damned. (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“This can’t be happening. It’s just not possible. (Cassandra)
Oh, well, let’s not have reality intrude now, shall we? I mean, hey, you’re a mythological being descended from mythological beings and you’re in the house of an immortal guardian no human can remember five minutes after they leave his presence. Who’s to say that you can’t get pregnant in a dream by him? What? We’re jumping into the realm of reality now? (Katra)”

“Don’t, Cassandra. (Wulf)
Oh, please. I just want to choke her for a few minutes. (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“How did you know Cassandra was the mother? (Wulf)
I know lots of things when I apply myself. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“If it makes you feel better, I’m not happy with the way all this went down any more than you are. But sometimes things have to go wrong in order to go right. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Chris would disagree with you. (Wulf)
I think Chris would disagree with a signpost. (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Rocking her gently in his arms, Wulf wondered which of them had it worse. The mother who wouldn’t live to see the baby grow, or the father who was damned to watch the baby and all those after him die.’ (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Cassandra sat on the floor with Chris and Kat, playing Life. They had tried to play Trivial Pursuit earlier only to learn that a Dark-Hunter and an immortal handmaiden to a goddess had a decidedly unfair advantage over Cassandra and Chris. In Life, the only thing that mattered was luck.’ (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“On Mardi Gras, she got his soul back and freed him. (Wulf)
Oh man, that sucks. Now he’s going to have to join Kyrian on the geriatric patrol. (Chris)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Why have I always been forbidden to touch him? (Stryker)
Ours it not to question why. Ours is but to live or die. (Apollymi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Since when the hell do I answer to you? I don’t even know you, hence it’s none of your damned business. (Spawn)
‘Well, someone hadn’t taken his personality pills for the night.’ (Wulf)”

“Know what? (Wulf)
If halflings live past twenty-seven. But then anything is possible. I say in a few months we should pop us some Orville Redenbacher’s, then sit back and enjoy the show. (Spawn)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I take it that didn’t go well. (Cassandra)
About like walking into a bear cave covered in honey. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“When I was a little girl, I used to try and bring sunshine to my mother. I felt so bad that she had never really seen or felt it. So I would try and catch it in jars. When that failed, I captured jars and jars of lightening bugs and told her that if we could catch enough of them, then it would look like the sun. She’d laugh, hug me, and then set them free and tell me that nothing should have to live its life in a cage. (Cassandra)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Where are my guards? (Wulf)
Oh, one is right here, but he’s not feeling very talkative. Death has a way of making even the chattiest of people rather quite. As for the other…he’s…oh, wait, dead now. (Stryker)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yes, but if we hurt the Abadonna in the process, we’re going to find out what it feels like to be turned inside out. Literally. Like most beings, I actually like the fact that my skin is outside my body. (Urian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I’m no more used to being without a weapon than you are. (Cassandra)
She’s right about that. Her teddy bear is a six-inch retractable knife with a snub-nosed .38 Special. (Katra)”

07/22/2010 page 0
07/26/2010 page 12
07/30/2010 page 144
40.0% "Have already completed my yearly DH series reread, but need to re-reread Wulf and Cassandra's book for quotes! :)"
07/31/2010 page 178
49.0% "Have already completed my yearly DH series reread, but need to re-reread Wulf and Cassandra's book for quotes! :)"
08/02/2010 page 192
53.0% "Have already completed my yearly DH series reread, but need to re-reread Wulf and Cassandra's book for quotes! :)"
12/24/2013 marked as: currently-reading
12/24/2013 page 59
16.0% "Reread a book for the fifth time, you ask? Duh! How could I not?"
12/30/2013 page 246
68.0% "While I'm less in love with the love herein, I am ALL about the fight scenes and action in this installment!"
01/01/2014 marked as: read