Jacqueline's Reviews > Dream Chaser

Dream Chaser by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Apr 24, 10

bookshelves: author-sherrilyn-kenyon, series-dark-hunter
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; but the series was recomended by a kind Books-A-Million
Recommended for: Anyone who loves sarcastically dry humor, sexy characters and kickass fight scenes.
Read in February, 2008, read count: Three times now

Of the series thus far, there have only been three Dream-Hunter novels. While each three are interesting in their own right, I feel that Dream Chaser truly combines that suspense and mystery of Sherri's Dark and Were Hunter novels that she is so well known for within this work.

Simone is a fascinating character, and like Sunshine and Amanda her story is more than what it seems on the surface. Xypher is amazing in that his story reveals the true nature of pain and suffering relieved by love. The twists and turns in this book kick major ass, and with the introduction of Jaden, the series heats up to another mind blowing level. Without question, an awesome read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Chaser.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Hatred is a bitter, damaging emotion. It winds itself through the blood, infecting its host and driving it forward without any reason. Its view is jaundiced and it skews even the clearest of eye sights. Sacrifice is noble and tender. It’s the action of a host who values others above himself. Sacrifice is bought through love and decency. It is truly heroic. Vengeance is an act of violence. It allows those who have been wronged to take back some of what was lost to them. Unlike sacrifice, it gives back to the one who practices it. Love is deceitful and sublime. In its truest form, it brings out the best in all beings. At its worst, it’s a tool used to manipulate and ruin anyone who is stupid enough to hold it. Don’t be stupid. Sacrifice is for the weak. Hatred corrupts. Love destroys. Vengeance is the gift of the strong. Move forward, not with hatred, not with love. Move forward with purpose. Take back what was stolen. Make those who laughed at your pain pay. Not with hatred, but with calm, cold rationale. Hatred is your enemy. Vengeance is your friend. Hold it close and let it loose. May the gods have mercy on those who have wronged me because I will have no mercy for them. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Have you ever wanted to put your head in a blender and turn on the liquefy switch? (Tate)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“But I have a gut feeling on this and it’s not the oh-look-it’s-a-bright-shiny-world kind. (Tate)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I just love the gifts you bring me for lunch. Other girls get diamonds. Me? I get mayhem and blood – and all before noon. Thanks, Tate. (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know it doesn’t work that way, T. I have to be touching the body or something that belonged to the victim. Photos only give me a paper cut…and the willies. (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Want to come back to the morgue with me after lunch? (Tate)
I shudder at the thought of the pickup line you must have used the night you met LaShonda. Come with me, baby, and see my collection of stiffs. (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“That’s what I want you to tell me. See, I deal with…well, most days, bizarre paranormal crap. You are Queen Weird. I need the queen on this before I have to start hiring a new staff of medical examiners who don’t freak out when the dead move off their tables. You know where I can find some of these unusual people? I know you hang out with them. (Tate)
Thanks, Tate. I always look forward to these ego-bolstering pep talks of ours. (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“But for the last couple of weeks I’ve had this bizarre sensation that something is watching me. (Simone)
You mean someONE, right? (Tate)
I know it sounds crazy – (Simone)
I just had a body walk off the table mid-autopsy and you think your story is nuts? (Tate)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Are you sure it’s not one of the ghosts you see eyeballing you? (Tate)
No. They’re never this subtle. They usually pop in, like ‘yo, she-bitch, do my bidding.’ This…this is something else. (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Was it like this? (Jesse)
(Jesse made an inhuman ghost noise.)
That sounds like Darth Vader choking on a chicken bone. (Gloria)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Don’t be jealous, baby. We’ll get to you in a jiffy. (Daimon)
Jiffy? What kind of pathetic wuss uses the word ‘jiffy’? (Xypher)”

“And you are? (Xypher)
Pissed off. You wrecked my car, shoved me around, and are a complete and utter dickhead! (Simone)
Dear God, what a mouthful – your mom must have really wanted a son. Mind if I call you ‘Pissed’ for short? The rest of that is just too much to say every time I want your attention. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Zeus is the king, right? (Simone)
He thinks he is most days. Personally, I think he’s a pompous ass who should be bitch-slapped by Hera at least once in his existence. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Fine. I’m a Skotos (Xypher)
That means what? You have toe jam? (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Do that again and, bracelet or no bracelet, I’ll tear your head off and use it for a doorstop. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What do you want with me? (Simone)
Not a damn thing. All I want is an entrance into the Daimon hell so that I can visit and kill an old friend. You’re just the poor sap who got caught in the crossfire. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I don’t like being threatened, lied to, or manipulated. You’d do well to remember that. (Simone)
Or what? You’re going to snivel at me? (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You have to sleep sometime. (Xypher)
So do you. (Julian)
Down, boys, down. Please, I just want to be free before I get testosterone poisoning. (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Ectoplasmic plane? What the devil is that? (Simone)
It’s jargon from those of us who are corporeally challenged. It’s the great beyond where we bounce into each other like floundering atoms. It’s really kind of gross – which is why I hang out with you. But only because you’re less gross than they are. (Jesse)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I beg your pardon. I’m not gross. (Simone)
Grody to the max. Gag me with a spoon. I’ve seen you in the mornings. You’re not exactly well coiffed. (Jesse)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“While I respect suicidal tendencies on most days, you’d do well to remember who you’re addressing and, more to the point, what I can do to you. No one says you have to go back to Tartarus in one piece. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Do you know what happened to the last person who took that tone with me? (Xypher)
Let me guess…Disembowelment. Probably painful. Definitely slow. (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“They’re ogling you, dude. Talking about your assets and the fact that you’re nauseatingly ripped, which I would have been had I not bit the dust at seventeen. I’m forever trapped in my tall, gangly phase. (Jesse)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I’m getting all warm and fuzzy inside at the prospect of these demon things roaming the street, preying on us. (Tate)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Speaking of, her family is due in any minute to claim her body. What am I supposed to tell them when we can’t give the body over? Again, I don’t think ‘oops’ will quite cover it. (Tate)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Did you do that? (Simone)
Sometimes my powers work. Sometimes they don’t. Looks like this time they did. Yea, us. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Hey, Vader, keep your Jedi mind tricks to yourself. That hurt! (Jesse)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yeah, but you’re both offending me with all this love-dovey crap. Get a room. No wait, don’t. Separate rooms. Both of you! (Jesse)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Start walking. When you hit a spot where you’re gasping for breath, that should tell us our limitations. (Xypher)
Oh, joy. I can’t wait to be the guppy. (Simone)
Glub, glub, little fishy. Start walking. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What made you so unforgiving? (Simone)
Be grateful that you have the luxury of asking me that question. Pray to whatever god you worship that you’ll always be ignorant. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“My father used to say that life is what you make it. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. You can’t change the past, but the future isn’t set in stone. You can effect a change there. Move forward not with hatred or love. Move forward with purpose. (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“If I hear ‘Karma Chameleon’ one more time, I swear I’m going to find Boy George and make him eat Jesse’s record. What does red, gold, and green have to do with anything anyway? (Gloria)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It’s a brilliant song! C’mon…’Every day is like survival. You’re my lover, not my rival.’ What could be more meaningful than that? (Jesse)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Someone please tell me that we’re not seriously having a friggin’ debate over the genius of ‘Karma Chameleon’ at seven o’clock in the morning? (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“How do you know about Boy George? (Jesse)
I was in hell, Jesse. What do you think they used to torture me with? Bad pop songs. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Your father wasn’t a positive influence on you, was he? (Simone)
Being the god of nightmares, he wasn’t a warm fuzzy bunny. Unless you count Happy Bunny. Amazingly the two of them have a lot in common…And I have to say that I’ve developed a fondness for that pissy rodent. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I didn’t know I could do that. I mean I knew I could do that before, but I didn’t know it was actually working now until you screamed. I thought I was just imagining it. And don’t give me that look…sorry? (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Stay out there! Don’t you dare come back in here with those evil mind tricks! (Simone)
Does it buy me any bonus points to note that you have a really nice looking ass? (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I am about to impart to you the sacred words my father gave to me. It’s the five responses that will get you out of any female problem…I don’t know what you’re talking about. I didn’t do it. Baby, there’s no one else in my world but you. Oops. And Jesus is Lord. Not to mention you can combine them. Such as – I don’t know what you’re talking about, I didn’t do it, or Jesus is Lord, baby, you know there’s no one else in my world but you. (Jesse)
(Simone opens the bathroom door.)
Oops, Jesus is Lord. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yeah, right. I don’t believe that one for a minute. What do you think? I fell off a turnip truck? (Simone)
Honestly? All I was thinking about was how beautiful you are. How much I wanted to feel your skin against mine and how I’ve never been this attracted to a woman before. (Xypher)”

“Are you okay? (Simone)
No, I’m in ecstasy. I blew straight past okay the minute you touched me. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I know you’re going to find this hard to believe, but for some reason I don’t understand, I actually like you…most of the time. (Simone)
Well, you also love Jesse. Obviously your taste in men leaves a lot to be desired. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Lady, right now you could tell me to throw myself under a bus to make you happy, and I’d oblige you. (Xypher)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“He walks in daylight. But, like a demon, he’s weaker then. He seems to have the powers of a god, but no followers. What would you call him? (Xypher)
I wouldn’t call him anything that didn’t make him deliriously happy. (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Maybe they’re customers. (Simone)
For a doll store? Yes, I can just see them now…I’ll take the frilly pink baby doll. (Liza)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“This one’s easy to use. The pointy end goes into their body. (Liza)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Kaiaphas. I see you finally made some friends. You must have learned to use a toothbrush at last. You know it’s the whole up and down, back and forth that confuses people…or demons. (Xypher)”

“Holy crud! (Simone)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Ironically no one ever wants to hear what I have to say about anything. They usually argue with me to the point I want to put them through a wall. Hopefully you won’t be so dense. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Don’t play that game with me, Acheron. Tell me what I need to know! (Xypher)
Nice tone. We should rent you out to record Halloween albums. (Acheron)”

02/03/2009 page 18
5.01% "Currently doing my yearly reread of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series."
02/04/2009 page 220
61.28% "Currently doing my yearly reread of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series"
04/19/2010 page 0
0.0% "(Yearly series reread) About to start soon..."
04/21/2010 page 140
39.0% "(Yearly series reread) I LOVE Xypher! He's kickass to the extreme :)"