Jonathon's Reviews > Civilization and Its Discontents

Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund Freud

Aug 19, 12

Read from August 08 to 19, 2012

A must read. (Read this paragraph in a snobbish elite voice...fine dont do it, whatever....)

More philosophical than psychological I would say, though it borderlines both. Really interesting on the creation of art and science and the libido interconnected. Also his discussion that people who lack a drive in art and science (lay people) tend to be drawn to religion.

What a pompous asshole. I dont know, maybe im reading this shit wrong.....anyway

Overall pretty good, except the last 20 pages I got lost. This could very well be cause Im stupid, but whatever. 3 STARS!

Here are some quotes no one will read nor care about. Without context I guess there meaningless; whatever... read the book dick...:

"He who possesses science and art also has religion; but he who possesses neither of those two, let him have religion!" Goethe, Zahme Xenien IX p.23

"The whole thing (religion) is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life." p.22

"And yet, as a path to happiness, work is not highly prized by men. They do not strive after it as they do after other possibilities of satisfaction. The great majority of people only work under the stress of necessity, and this natural human aversion to work raises most difficult social problems." p.29

"Man has, as it were, become a kind of prosthetic God." p.43

"Future ages will bring with them new and probably unimaginably great advances in this field of civilization and will increase man's likeness to God still more. But in the interests of our investigations, we will not forget that present-day man does not feel happy in his Godlike character." p.43

"You're born between shit and piss." (yea, this is really in the book, which makes the book way more awesomer!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Civilization and Its Discontents.