Jacqueline's Reviews > Night Pleasures

Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Nov 30, 14

bookshelves: author-sherrilyn-kenyon, series-dark-hunter, genre-romance-paranormal, genre-romance-suspense, trope-adventure, trope-angst-ridden, trope-at-odds-couple, trope-courtship-dance, trope-enemies-to-lovers, trope-fairy-tale-beauty-beast, trope-forbidden-love, trope-hero-across-the-tracks, trope-hero-alpha, trope-hero-deformity-scars-disabled, trope-hero-genius-or-cerebral, trope-hero-in-deception, trope-hero-in-pursuit, trope-hero-feels-inferior, trope-hero-job-warrior, trope-hero-knight-in-shining-armor, trope-hero-jealous-protective, trope-hero-scorned, trope-hero-smitten-with-heroine, trope-hero-tortured, trope-hero-widower-or-mourning, trope-heroine-alpha, trope-heroine-ethnic-american, trope-heroine-genius-or-cerebral, trope-heroine-hoyden-or-spirited, trope-heroine-misfit, trope-heroine-plain-or-ugly, trope-heroine-plus-sized, trope-hilarity-within, trope-mistaken-or-hidden-identity, trope-older-man-younger-woman, trope-opposites-attract, trope-perfect-banter, trope-pnr-adventure, trope-pnr-dark-and-dark-forces, trope-pnr-gods-goddesses, trope-pnr-good-v-evil, trope-pnr-hero-begifted, trope-pnr-hero-cursed, trope-pnr-hero-guardian-warrior, trope-pnr-hero-nonhuman, trope-pnr-heroine-cursed, trope-pnr-heroine-human, trope-pnr-heroine-psychic, trope-pnr-heroine-saves-the-day, trope-pnr-human-other-pairing, trope-pnr-magic-or-occult, trope-pnr-nonhumans, trope-pnr-vampires, trope-revenge-plot, trope-shhh-its-a-secret, trope-siblings-or-family-within, trope-star-crossed-love, trope-heroine-job-accountant, classified-five-stars
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; but the series was recommended by a B.A.M. saleswoman
Recommended for: Anyone who loves sarcastic dry humor, awesome fight scenes, and sexy characters
Read from October 16 to 21, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 6 times now

Read: October 16, 2013 - October 21, 2013
Read: July 7, 2011
Read: January 13, 2009 - January 15 2009
Read: Nov 26, 2008
Read: March 2007
Read: January 2005

You know that moment when you meet the best thing in your life, and your brain, body, and emotions kind of just explode all over the place? Well, that sentiment should come with a greeting card that reads, "Congratulations; you've now been introduced to author Sherrilyn Kenyon!" Said introduction comes with book-one of the Dark-Hunter series, and it is one seriously kick-ass experience. And, this mind-blowingly awesome super-duper I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter ride starts with Kyrian of Thrace.

Okay, to be fair, this series actually starts with a prequel novel, Fantasy Lover. But, shhh, never mind all that. What you need to know is that this wonderful joy-ride begins with Kyrian, and let's just go ahead and put it out there that he is probably one of the most adorably lovable fictional men you have ever met in your entire fictional-reading life. Kyrian's got all of the necessary requirements that invite All Of The Hugs; he's broken, he's strong, he's ancient, he's young, he's unloved, and he's smexy. Did I mention he's smexy? Suffice to say he prompts all of the fan-girling imaginable.

Yep! I'm objectifying a fictional male, and I don't even care. Why don't I care? Well, because, to be honest Kyrian of Thrace is so well written you can't help but fall in love with him, dashing looks, charming personality and all. The emotions this character brings to the page pretty much demand all of your attention. His back story is heart-wrenching, and his modern reality makes you crave his HEA, which, of course, brings us to Amanda Devereux. Amanda, frankly, can be encapsulated by just a single, solitary word.

Here is a heroine that embodies all of the awesome. She's basically the woman that I want to clone out of fiction and turn into reality because, c'mon, I need this girl as my BFF. Hell, humanity needs this girl as its BFF. Like Kyrian, Amanda is written in such an elegant contradiction, for while she is strong, her strength is quite, and as such far more believable. She knows when to fight, and when to shut the hell up because, hello, she's not an idiot. She's neither Wonder Woman, nor is she a delicate wilting flower, which rocks because such makes her realistic as a woman. Her personality and humor are subtle, and as such she's a sheer joy to read. Hell, given half the chance, would I freakin' date her? Well...

Duh. I adore Amanda, almost as much as I adore Kyrian, still almost as much as I adore the world building that takes place within this novel. As the first book in a series, Night Pleasures gets tons of I-heart-your-face-so-much from me for many reasons, but predominately because it does such a hardcore awesome-sauce job at setting up a world I totally buy into one hundred percent. I've read a shit-ton of books in my time, and very rarely do they achieve the standard of realism set by Night Pleasures.

Put simply, this book is smart; hell, this series is smart. The monsters and bad-guys, the good-guys and paranormal characters all are grounded in a believable explanation, one that impresses the hell out of me. Any author that can reinvent vampires utilizing ancient Greek mythology to create characters that are grounded in that reality, being characters from the distant past who live in the modern present that are dynamic and fascinating, is whoa. All kinds of whoa.

The emotions that Sherrilyn Kenyon is capable of taking you to in this book basically boggle the mind. I mean, in one novel we go from the unimaginable betrayal and several pages of a gruesome, I'm-gonna-vomit torture scene to the hero wearing a loin cloth made from whipped cream. Yeah. The plot and writing quality featured in this book will run the gamut and back again. Without question a reader will discover every possible emotional chord in this book, and if they fail in this endeavor, then I'm seriously questioning their well being. No judgement or anything, but OMG.

Yes, I've reread this book going on seven times now, and yes, it still kicks as much literary ass as it did when I first read it in 2004. Rarely does a book simultaneously rock both the character development and emotional interaction, as well as the action packed external conflict element. Accomplishing this is all kinds of rare, but damned if Sherrilyn Kenyon doesn't do both awesome feats extraordinarily well. Yes, I'm a fan-girl, yes this is a reread, and yes I'm biased, but even knowing all that, it is my solemn promise to you, good reader, that upon completing this novel you shall experience the following.

Welcome to the madness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Pleasures.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Oh God, I just kissed a vampire!"

Oh Gods, I just kissed a human!”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I say we should stake him to an anthill and throw little pickles at him! (Selena)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Guy? Mister? Mr. Goth Man, would you please wake up so I can leave? I really don't want to hang out in a closet with a dead man any longer than I have to, okay? C'mon, please, don't make this a Weekend at Bernie's thing! (Amanda)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Desi, babe. Still playing your little games, I see. Now why don't you be a good Daimon and show yourself to me? (Kyrian) ”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“By the time I finish with the two of you, you will be begging me to let you die. (Desiderius)
Desi dearest, I have never begged a day in my life, and the sun will surely splinter before I ever plead for anything from the likes of you. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Desi, Desi, Desi what am I going to do with you? (Kyrian)
Don't you dare take that flippant tone with me! (Desiderius)
Why ever not? (Kyrian)
Because I am not some scared little Daimon to run cringing from you. I am your worst nightmare. (Desiderius)
Must you resort to cliches? C'mon, Desidisastrous, couldn't you think of anything more original than that B-movie dialogue staple? (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“For the moment, he's off plotting his Igoresque revenge. I don't know about you, but I have this image of him rubbing his hands together and laughing like Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Alright, macho babe boy, I'm not some little ditz to bat my eyelashes at the buff stud in black leather. Don't try your he-man tactics with me. I'll have you know, in my office, I'm known as the ball-breaker. (Amanda)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Knock, knock. You have the day to hide. Come nightfall, we hunt. (Desiderius)
Yeah, yeah...you and your little dog, too. (Kyrian)
You're not scared of his threats? (Amanda)
Chere, the day I fear something like him is the day I lie down at his feet and hand him the knife to cut my heart out. The only fear I have is getting you back to your sister and convincing High Queen Hard Head to leave off this matter until I can locate Desiderius and send his soul into oblivion where it belongs. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Oh no, no, no! Are you going to suck my blood? (Amanda
Do I look like a lawyer to you? (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You are one seriously testy Creature of the Night. (Amanda) ”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know, for the record, I hate to take orders. But! I realize I'm in over my head. You have no idea how much I hate all this supernatural garbage. So I'm willing to listen to you, but you better start acting like I'm a person and not some mindless blow-up doll. (Amanda)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What are you doing? (Amanda)
I'm getting into my car. (Kyrian)
You own this?! (Amanda)
No. I'm stealing it with the key in my hand. (Kyrian)”

“Knock, knock. (Desiderius)
Now, ain't this a bitch. Here I am, trying to kiss my girl, and you have to interrupt us. What, were you raised in a barn? By the way, touch the woman, or the Lamborghini, and you're a dead man. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Black belt in Akihito. (Amanda)
Any other time, I'd kiss you for that. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Didn't I tell you not to touch the Lamborghini? (Kyrian)
(Hunter groused an instant before he cut the wheel and sent the vampire flying through the air.)
And they told me you guys couldn't fly. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Lights! Lights would be very good right now! (Amanda)
Since they hurt my eyes to the point I can barely see, no they wouldn't. Trust me. (Kyrian)
Trust you, my left foot! I'm not immortal over here! (Amanda)
Yeah, well, in a bad enough car wreck, neither am I. (Kyrian)
I really hate your sense of humor. (Amanda)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know, I really hate Romans, but I have to say their descendants make one fine automobile. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“And not a single mark on the Lamborghini. Ha! Eat steel, you soul-sucking bastards! (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You actually enjoyed that, didn't you? (Amanda)
Oh, hell yes! Did you see the look on their faces? Man, I love this car. (Kyrian)
(She looked up at the sky and implored divine aid.)
Dear God, please separate me from this maniac before I die of fright. (Amanda) ”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“We got latched together and I was hoping you could separate us? (Amanda)
They were made by your stepfather. Any chance you have a key lying around? (Kyrian)
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. At least this time she's not an Amazon princess with an irate mother demanding parts of your body be removed. Two thousand years later, and you're still getting into unbelievable messes. (Julian) ”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It's not your fault. You had no way of knowing I'd traded my soul. It's not exactly how I start out conversations. Hi, I'm Kyrian. I have no soul. What about you? (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Gee, thanks Dad. I promise to be a good boy and play nice with the other kids.(Kyrian)
Smart ass.(Julian)
Better than a dumb ass.(Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Alright then, let's explain it this way. There are four basic kinds of Daimons or vampires; bloodsuckers, soulsuckers, energy/dreamsuckers, and slayers. (Talon)
You guys are the slayers. (Amanda)
(Hunter snorted)
What? Were you born with a remote in your hand? (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“To protect the world as we know it, there were three races of hunters created to police and destroy the Daimons. We are called the Pyramid of Protection. Dark-Hunters pursue those who feed on humans, blood, and souls. Dream-Hunters go after the energy- and dreamsuckers, and Were-Hunters stalk the slayers. (Talon)
I guess what I don't understand is why you don't have one group that does it all. (Amanda)
Because we can't. If one person or group was strong enough to walk all four realms of existence, they would be able to enslave the world. Nothing and no one could stop them. And the gods would be greatly pissed. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What four realms? (Amanda)
Time, space, earth, and dreams. (Talon)
Okay, now that is scary. Some of you guys walk through time? (Amanda)
And space and dreams. (Talon)
Ah. So Rod Sterling was a Were-Hunter? (Amanda)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“And speaking of scary things, I need to leave. My guides are fading even as we speak. (Talon)
I hate when you commune with the dead in front of me. (Kyrian)
Are you the asshole who sent the 'I See Dead People' T-shirt to me? (Talon)
That would be Wulf. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Personally, I wish D. would come after me, I need a good dance partner. My Daimons have lame legs. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I've called in the oracles and they were communing with the Fates. But you know how they are. I'm sure it'll come back as 'When the sky is green,m and the earth turns black, the Daimons will give you lots of flack. To kill the great awful one you seek, you'll have to find something unique.' Or some bullshit like that. I really hate Oracles. If I wanted to play mind games, I'd buy a Rubik's Cube. (Acheron)
I don't know, Ash, you're pretty good at that. Sure you don't want to take up an Oracle position? (Kyrian)
Picture this, General, my middle finger is extended all the way up, and aimed right at you. Now let me work. I have Daimons to track, Dark-Hunters to antagonize, and women to seduce. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You're the only man I know who can have sex with a woman who looks that good and be in this bad a mood ten minutes later. Damn, didn't you know sex is supposed to make you feel better? (Nick)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Don't you have class today? (Kyrian)
Boy, I'm a backwoods Cajun, I ain't never got no class, cher. (Nick)
(He cleared his throat and dropped the thick Cajun accent.)
And no, today's registration. I've got to figure out what I'm taking next semester. (Nick)
I have a few things I need you to do today. (Kyrian)
And that is different from any other day how? (Nick)
Sarcasm, thy name is Nick Gautier. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“The only clothes Amanda has are the ones on her back. (Kyrian)
From what I saw, she had no clothes whatsoever on her back. Her front neither. (Nick)
One day, Gaitor bait... (Kyrian)
Note to self- be nice to woman, keep mouth shut. (Nick)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Alright, you'll get your bonus, buy play nice with her. Keep your sarcasm to a minimum. (Kyrian)
Yes, O Great Lord and Master. Be nice to woman, keep mouth shut. (Nick)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I haven't fought with anyone else in over two thousand years. (Kyrian)
Well, you're never too old to learn. (Amanda)
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. (Kyrian)
There's no time like the present. (Amanda)
Time is of the essence. (Kyrian)
God helps those who help themselves. (Amanda)
You're not going to let me win this, are you? (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“My God. Is there some unwritten law that you guys have to be giants? (Amanda)
What can I say? Artemis likes her Dark-Hunters tall. Short men need not apply. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know, I've walked this earth for over eleven thousand years, my lady. I have seen things in my life that are unimaginable to you, and you ask me if I doubt you? Lady, I doubt the very air you breathe. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You like being vague, don't you? (Amanda)
It was a choice of being a Dark-Hunter or a prophet. Personally I like the slash-and-kill stuff much more than prayers and the lotus position. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“God forbid I should bleed to death, eh? Then you'd have to cart around my rotting corpse. (Kyrian)
Could you be any more morbid? Jeez, who was your idol growing up? Boris Karloff? (Amanda)
Hannibal, actually. (Kyrian)
You're trying to scare me, aren't you? Well, it won't work. I grew up in a house with an angry poltergeist and two sisters who used to conjure demons just to fight them. Buster, I've seen it all and your gallows humor isn't working on me. (Amanda)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What is a Dark-Hunter? Is it like the Vampire Slayer? (Amanda)
Yes, I'm a small, emaciated teenage girl who struts around fighting vampires in earrings they would rip out of my ears and shove up my ass. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“So, you're like Angel? (Amanda)
You watch way too much television. Angel has a soul. I don't. (Kyrian)
Now you're back to being scary again. (Amanda)
Baby, you ain't seen scary yet. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Should I ask about the handcuffs? (Tate)
Not unless you want to live...otherwise if anyone asks, tell them I died of a heart attack during a wild sexcapade with her. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Can you just saw his arm off while we're here and get me loose? (Amanda)
I could do that, but he needs his more. I'd cut yours off before I did his. (Tate)
Oh, great, what are you, his Igor? (Amanda)
Wrong movie, Igor was Frankenstein's flunky. Renfield is the one you're thinking of, and no, I'm not Renfield. Name's Tate Bennett. Parish coroner. (Tate)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I thought only a wooden stake through the heart killed a vampire. (Amanda)
A wooden stake through the heart will kill just about anything. And if it doesn't, run like hell. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“So you're the infamous Acheron. (Amanda)
Lord and Master of the great barbarian horde that roams the night. (Acheron)”

01/13/2009 page 5
1.49% "Currently doing my reread of the entire Dark-Hunter series for the year"
01/14/2009 page 194
57.74% "Currently doing my reread of the Dark-Hunter series for the year"
01/15/2009 page 296
88.1% "Currently doing my yearly reread of the Dark-Hunter seires"
07/07/2011 page 24
7.0% "My yearly DH series reread...how I adore it!" 2 comments
10/16/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/16/2013 page 77
22.0% "

Kyrian, you're adorable; I've missed you.

It's been two years, so apparently it's that time again; time for a reread of Sherri's DH bad boys." 1 comment
10/21/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jacqueline *Does happy book-review dance!* :)

Thanks Ronda! Thanks Cindyg!